* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Rather than, [[spoiler:Francis imagining the whole story]], it was all an elaborate [[spoiler:role-play by the Director to try and understand Francis's delusions]]. Similar in vein to Film/ShutterIsland.
* CaptainObviousReveal: Francis’ story ends in [[spoiler:a mental hospital]], going back to the original setting of him talking to a man in the park, and, as the film is fairly short, you’d probably recall all too easily at this point that the man got Francis to tell his story by telling him about ghosts harassing him, so the twist is incredibly predictable and turns the WhamShot of [[spoiler:the mental hospital and the characters from Francis’ story]] into a somewhat underwhelming ‘wham’.
* EndingFatigue: We see the TwistEnding. Then we see the asylum. We see all the patients [[spoiler:who appeared in Francis’ story]] and then some. Then it gets inverted: [[spoiler:the head of the asylum declares he can cure Francis]], and the film ends abruptly.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Cesare isn't on screen for very long but he's arguably the most memorable character in the film.
* TheUntwist: It's obvious that the murders are conducted by Cesare, under Dr. Caligari's orders. [[spoiler:It's actually a RedHerring for the ''real'' twist, that the entire scenario was AllJustADream.]]