!!The book series:
** War is BAD.
** Organized religion is ''literally'' puppy-kicking awful, if you believe ''The Prophet of Yonwood''.
* FanPreferredCouple: Doon and Lina, though they are PlatonicLifePartners [[spoiler:for ''most'' of the series]].
* ItWasHisSled: The fact that Ember is an UndergroundCity is not found out until the end of the first book, but good luck finding someone who treats that like a spoiler (Hell, it even says this on the main page!).
* ParanoiaFuel: One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the situation in ''The Prophet of Yonwood'' (the U.S. battling a terrorist nation that threatens total war) is a natural progression from what the world is going through today.
!!The film adaptation:
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: "One Last Message", perfectly fits over the credits and end sequences.
* OnlyTheCreatorDoesItRight: The often gets this in comparison to the book.
%% * SpecialEffectFailure: The film's special effects are pretty good, but start to fall apart by the end of the movie. Either the budget started running out or they were banking on viewers being engaged enough to ignore the Conspicuous CG.