!!The book series:
** War is BAD.
** Organized religion is ''literally'' puppy-kicking awful, if you believe ''The Prophet of Yonwood''.
* FanPreferredCouple: Doon and Lina, though they are PlatonicLifePartners [[spoiler:for ''most'' of the series]].
* ItWasHisSled: The fact that Ember is an UndergroundCity is not found out until the end of the first book, but good luck finding someone who treats that like a spoiler (Hell, it even says this on the main page!).
* ParanoiaFuel: One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the situation in ''The Prophet of Yonwood'' (the U.S. battling a terrorist nation that threatens total war) is a natural progression from what the world is going through today.
!!The film adaptation:
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: "One Last Message", perfectly fits over the credits and end sequences.
* IdiotPlot: There whole thing happens because the Builders[[note]]who are so talented that they could build an entire city underground and reasonably expect it to be sustainable for two centuries[[/note]] and every single Mayor [[note]]up to the 7th[[/note]] thought it was a good idea to keep the key to future of ''entire humanity'' in ''one single piece of paper'', and limit its knowledge to only one person at a time, rather than treating it as the most important subject for the posterity to study.
* OnlyTheCreatorDoesItRight: The often gets this in comparison to the book.
%% * SpecialEffectFailure: The film's special effects are pretty good, but start to fall apart by the end of the movie. Either the budget started running out or they were banking on viewers being engaged enough to ignore the Conspicuous CG.