* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: The film strongly implies that UsefulNotes/JesseJames realized that the Ford boys were about to kill him and willingly went to his death, apparently out of simple weariness.
* AwardSnub: While the film made a number of critical top ten lists, it was nominated only for Best Supporting Actor and Cinematography, winning neither. Special mention must go to Music/NickCave and Warren Ellis' beautiful score which didn't make the list of nominees.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The entire soundtrack, particularly during [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfv_7mO0M1M the titular death scene]]. It's written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, who also supplied the sountrack to ''Film/TheProposition''.
* EndingFatigue: The title event occurs about two hours into the film, but the film continues for more than a half hour, tracing the Ford brothers' lives for years after the event. Some viewers felt that the film should have wrapped up quickly after the murder, apparently failing to realize that Robert Ford is just as much a main character as Jesse James. A rumored director's cut that has yet to see the light of day supposedly continues for a full two hours after the murder.
* JerkassWoobie: Both Jesse James and Robert Ford. Jesse is a murderous bully and Ford is a sniveling snake-in-the-grass, yet both are so beat up by their problems that you can't help but feel for them.
* MemeticMutation: The assassination scene was parodied in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0r-ScEG4 the "Booboo kills Yogi" video]]
* MisaimedFandom: As per the historical precedent, there are a group of viewers who still see Jesse as being a hero and all around wonderful person.
** The titular death scene.
** Jesse breaking down and crying after completely snapping and beating on a child.
** The final narration describing Bob's fate.
* TheWoobie: Bob, especially in real life where he's labelled a coward and sadly is ''only'' remembered for that.