* AcceptableTargets: Politicians and lobbyists, naturally.
* AffablyEvil: Nick earns his living by defending and promoting cigarette companies, but he's a devoted father and rather charming and likable man.
** Even more is Bobby Jay Bliss, the gun control lobbyist. It's rare to see a [[strike:N.R.A]] [[FunWithAcronyms S.A.F.E.T.Y]] member so sympathetic in a movie. He almost borders on EvilIsFunny with the M.O.D. stickers. It's mentioned in the book that he's a Born-again Christian.
* CrazyAwesome: Jeff, the movie producer. Best shown by this quote, in response to Jeff calling Nick at four in the morning:
-->'''Nick:''' Jeff, when do you sleep?
* DesignatedHero: Nick.
* FridgeLogic: Will a "POISON" label on cigarettes ''really'' discourage teens from smoking? Wouldn't that be... [[ForbiddenFruit cooler]]?
** They actually do make a brand like this in the book with this line of thinking, and there's also a mention of brands in some European countries that had been doing this for a long time. They didn't want every brand to carry it, but in the book and in a deleted scene in the movie, Nick works with the marketing teams to make it work in their favour as much as possible, [[RefugeInAudacity including an idea to have the skull match that of]] [[MisterRogersNeighborhood Mr. Rogers']].
** In RealLife (as mentioned below), Australian law mandates that every cigarette pack has something similar, only with a disgusting image to go with the warning (and since 2012 all are in a plain pack). Unlike in the movie, the law focuses on making smoking look unappealing.
* HilariousInHindsight: In the previous film Katie Holmes appeared in before this, ''Film/BatmanBegins'', she portrayed Rachel Dawes, the LoveInterest of the title character. In this film, her character, Heather, has a sexual relationship with Nick, portrayed by Aaron Eckhart. Eckhart would later go on to portray Harvey Dent in ''Film/TheDarkKnight'', involved in a relationship with Rachel Dawes (though this time round portrayed by Maggie Gyllenhaal).
** The "POISON" packaging that the characters work so hard to prevent? Similar packaging was put into effect less than a year later in Australia. Not much has changed.
* PunchClockVillain : If you consider Nick to be a VillainProtagonist, he will be likely one of these.
* VillainProtagonist: Depending on your perspective on smoking. Nick Naylor is played straight as a classic protagonist in a Hero's Journey, despite being what many would consider a villain in the cigarette wars.