** Whether games created by Team Symphonia [[note]]Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia[[/note]] or by Team Destiny [[note]]Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Graces[[/note]] are the better ones. Hardcore fans of either base are unlikely to admit liking games created by the other teams, whereas a third party, who enjoys both games, is generally ignored.
** Like any long-running franchise fans will always debate over which game is the best, which party was the best, which hero and heroine are the best, and who the best villain is.
* CompleteMonster: [[Monster/TalesSeries We have a page for that]].
* FandomRivalry: In the West this series has a strong one with ''Franchise/FinalFantasy'' over which long-running JRPG series is better.
* FriendlyFandoms: Some players of this franchise are also fighting-game players as the combat system is very similar to that of a combo-focused fighting game. It helps that the ''Franchise/BlazBlue'' series was getting started when more Tales of games were coming out internationally alongside of a revitalization of the 2D fighter.
* SeasonalRot: For some fans this started kicking in with ''VideoGame/TalesOfGraces'' as most of the games since then have tried their hand at new mechanics and additions to the combat system that some fans feel the Team Symphonia games perfected. If that's not your problem than the fact that the gameplay has become formulaic most likely is. The newer games have also been criticized for having weaker stories and characters, and the signature tropes getting old and predictable. ''VideoGame/TalesOfZestiria'' is often seen as the worst example of this trope in the franchise for both gameplay and narrative though fans in Japan have found ''VideoGame/TalesOfBerseria'' to be a much needed revitalization of he franchise.
* SeinfeldIsUnfunny: For some of the most veteran fans, the DeconstructorFleet has been done so many times in the series (both well and badly executed) that it has become a cliché in it on itself by this point. Never mind the fact that [[VideoGame/TalesOfPhantasia some]] [[VideoGame/TalesOfSymphonia of]] [[VideoGame/TalesOfRebirth the]] [[VideoGame/TalesOfTheAbyss games]] were considered damn smart in this regard when they came out (some of them still hold up when judged by their own merits, some of them...not so much).
* SoOkayItsAverage: The games are popular in the JRPG fandom but there's a pretty vocal group of people who consider the games to be very generic and samey, even when compared to other JRPG franchises. Frequent criticisms are uninspired character designs and dated visuals, overuse of JRPG cliches (claiming that the Deconstruction of multiple cliches the series is famed for either isn't worth sitting through the ClicheStorm phase, and/or doesn't really make the stories and characters much better or less stereotypically anime/one-note), button mashey gameplay and Sakuraba's work for the series not being as strong as his other compositions. The games tend to be released in a pretty short amount of time, leading to over-saturation in some people's eyes.