* DorkAge: When exactly it set in is up for debate. General fan consensus seems to be that the first four books were solid, Salamander Spell could've been a lot better, but it also could've been a lot worse, Dragon Princess was weak but bearable, and the last two books were really not that great.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Garrid, Zoe, Francis, and Haywood.
* FandomLifeCycle: Appears to be permanently stuck in Stage 1.
* FanPreferredCouple: Zoe and Francis.
* LoveItOrHateIt: The last four books, especially Salamander Spell.
* MostWonderfulSound: The narrator for the audiobooks. As far as the fans are concerned, her voice ''is'' Emma.
* PeripheryDemographic: Aimed at elementary schoolers, and indeed, many fans do discover the books at this age, but continue to love them even as teenagers. And of course, there are fans who discover them as teens.
* TheScrappy: Audun. Almost NO ONE in the fandom likes him.
** Emma's daughter, Millie, for being a SpoiledBrat and a SpotlightStealingSquad.
** Garrid, despite being a vampire prince who has a ''huge'' family of vampires and alludes to a past vampire-werewolf war (which killed his parents), and still managing to be a friendly, cheerful sort of fellow, doesn't get that much to ''do'', plotwise. Especially odd as he's married to a main character.
** Zoe and Francis mainly serve as sidekicks/backup to Millie, but many feel that they had more compelling and likable personalities, and wish the books gave them more focus.
* TheWoobie: Poor, poor Haywood.
** JerkassWoobie: Chartreuse