* AdaptationDisplacement: The ABC version has been overshadowed by the Lifetime/PAX revival, although early in the 1990s run Johnny Gilbert proclaimed that it was "the return of the one and only ''Supermarket Sweep''!"
* AwesomeMusic / EarWorm: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtFAxeML3Qc The theme song]], which is pretty distinctive for a game show and features some killer sax work.
* ComplacentGamingSyndrome: During the Big Sweep, most contestants were GenreSavvy enough to grab the expensive stuff — Farmer John hams, gallon-sized jugs of Bertolli olive oil, diapers, macadamia nuts, giant steaks, cheese wedges, frozen turkeys, medicine, etc.
* CrowningMomentOfFunny: [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBUM0fM2Qdc This episode's Big Sweep]] (from Season 6) has Michael of Team 3, who uses some Rubbermaid pails to do his shopping at first, and then, right before time runs out, he manages to get a bonus across the red line, only to nearly crash into David in his haste; Johnny Gilbert even goes "Look out, David!"
* GrowingTheBeard: Probably around the time the coffee/candy bonuses became a regular feature, to the point where David Ruprecht always mentioned them in his run-down of the day's Big Sweep bonuses (right before mentioning the inflatables).
* MomentOfAwesome: Whenever a "Team 3" won the Big Sweep, or the ''very'' rare occasion in which a team amassed the maximum time from the base of 1:30 — originally 3:40, then 4:30, although in the latter case there were only one or two teams who even got four minutes.
** There is at least one 1990 episode where Team 3 won both the Big Sweep and then won the bonus round, with only a few seconds left by the time they grabbed the 3rd product.
* OlderThanTheyThink: Guessing the price of groceries to earn time? Pan over the market just before the host goes into the bonuses? Bonuses that generally make the difference between victory and defeat? Play-by-play commentary by TheAnnouncer? Players making a beeline for the frozen foods at the outset? All done by the original series.
* PainfulRhyme: Used in many clues during the front game and Bonus Sweep.
* SpiritualSuccessor: Food Network's ''Guy's Grocery Games'' takes several elements from ''Supermarket Sweep''.
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: Inverted. Early in the Lifetime revival, the show had several "monsters" (most famously "Mr. Yuck") who would stand in the way of shoppers during the Big Sweep, forcing them to take another route. They were thankfully discarded in 1991.
** Some people just ''could not'' figure out some Bonus Sweep clues.
** Those who left a grocery item on the floor, which carried a hefty $25 penalty ''per item'', which was pretty severe in an era when most groceries were worth less than $20.