* AccidentalInnuendo: Level 2 of Mario Zone is set approximately in the crotch area of a giant mechanical Mario. It's full of... balls. Big, bright balls, spiked balls, bears riding balls. Balls.
** In the first level of Space Zone, there is mound of rocks that resembles [[FlippingTheBird a certain rude hand gesture...]]
* EvenBetterSequel: A longer, more elaborate, and all in all much better game than the first ''Super Mario Land''.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: What, did you think Nintendo gave Wario [[VideoGame/WarioLand his own spinoff series]] for no reason?
* GameBreaker: The Bunny Ears. You can float infinitely, descend slowly, and jump higher, but the lack of ability to spin jump (That the Super and Fire forms can do) causes some to call this a PowerUpLetdown than a truly useful power.
** Space Zone. See VideoGame/SuperMarioGalaxy.
** A secret level in Turtle Zone has blocks and coins arranged to spell out "WARIO LAND 2". Six years after this game, there actually [[VideoGame/WarioLandII was]] a ''Wario Land 2''.
* MemeticMutation: "[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhB8XG9_5Rc Obey Wario, DESTROY MARIO]]!!!" It proved so popular in its initial airing that the [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsjLXjPbbI commercial]] for ''VideoGame/WarioLandSuperMarioLand3'' used the same "hypnotized by Wario" premise even though hypnosis ''doesn't'' feature in that game.
* ThatOneBoss: The three pigs in the Mario Zone could be this, seeing as how they each take three hits to defeat, and [[CaptainObvious there's three of them.]]
** Ditto for the boss of Space Zone (who appears to be Tatanga from the previous game), who is arguably right behind Wario as the toughest boss.
* ThatOneLevel: Star Maze. Those stars are going to kill you many, many times.
** While it's expected that a final level would be difficult, Wario/Mario's Castle can be absolutely brutal. While the rest of the game (barring Space Zone) is relatively easy, the Castle is a difficulty spike that can be very jarring for first time players. Combine pools of acid/lava, swinging spiked balls, spiked traps, and several jumps that require almost-pixel-perfect placement, and you've got a tough level. And no checkpoints either. On the plus side, the Bunny Ears power-up makes the stage much easier to manage, provided the player is able to keep hold of it.
* VindicatedByHistory: ''Super Mario Land 2'' and its predecessor were always considered good portable Mario games, but both games became subjected to CanonDiscontinuity as the years went on due to their non-contemporary settings and overall [[OddballInTheSeries weirdness]]. In Super Mario Bros, 30th Anniversary in 2015, the game as well as its predecessor [[http://i.imgur.com/QficAfX.png were featured among the iconic Mario titles]] in the timeline. The game also gained a lot more praise and appreciation from fans for its unique structure, creativity, soundtrack and different plot for Mario standards, while still staying true to the gameplay roots of the series. The [[BrokenBase controversy]] [[ItsTheSameNowItSucks surrounding]] the ''New Super Mario Bros.'' titles (Especially ''[[VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBros2 2]])'' really helped ''Mario Land 2'' on its way to vindication.