* CultClassic: Due to its insane difficulty and similarity to the original ''Super Mario Bros.'', it doesn't get as much universal love as the other games in the series. Those who do love it, however, love it for exactly the reasons listed prior.
* ItsHardSoItSucks: Part of why the game wasn't exported, and why it had poor reception amongst Western players after it was RemadeForTheExport. Even [[OldShame Miyamoto himself disliked the]] SequelDifficultySpike. The other reason is that...
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: Wasn't just a fan reaction. The #1 reason Nintendo decided not to export the Famicom version to the US was that they didn't think such an obvious MissionPackSequel would sell well in the States (note that simply being NintendoHard didn't stop them from exporting any other games back then).
* PainfulRhyme: The poem you get after beating 8-4, which also appears in ''Vs. Super Mario Bros.'':
-->Peace is paved/With kingdom saved/Hurrah to Mario[[note]]or Luigi, but that breaks the rhyme[[/note]]/Our only hero/This ends your trip/Of a long friendship[[note]]100000 pts. added/For each player left.[[/note]]
* PortingDisaster: The GBC port on ''Super Mario Bros. Deluxe'' isn't necessary unplayable, but it strips several features from the original, which is not brought up in-game or in the manual. Luigi as presented in the original is not available (you can switch between him and Mario on the world map, but he's merely a PaletteSwap in this version), worlds 9 through D are absent, the game uses Super Mario Bros. 1's physics (no [[GoombaSpringboard high bounce out of enemies]]) and graphics, the wind mechanic is removed, and [[CameraScrew the smaller screen introduces some serious]] FakeDifficulty.