* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The subplot about the two Doctors Light and the demon torturing them.
** Deadshot. The series put the character on the map (he had less than a dozen pre-Squad appearances) and is largely credited for his popularity amongst fans. Because of this, he became the team's de facto field leader in the New 52 series.
*** Deadshot is the only member of the team to have been included in each and every movie or TV appearance (WesternAnimation/JusticeLeague, Smallville, Arrow, WesternAnimation/BatmanAssaultOnArkham, and [[Film/SuicideSquad2016 the movie]]).
** The squad itself in appearances in other books. Virtually every time they've shown up in guest spots, it's someone's depiction of a "classic" line-up, leading to people hoping for a revival.
** In an early issue Rick Flag and Comicbook/AmandaWaller get into a fight over mind-wiping old Suicide Squad members so they don't reveal information about the squad. Mind-wiping to hide secrets would become a much more serious problem when regular heroes start doing it in ''ComicBook/IdentityCrisis''. Even weirder, Waller of all people eventually relents and decides mind-wiping is too extreme.
** In Issue 26, Flag sneaks into a Quraci military base and detonates a nuclear bomb, destroying it and killing himself. Four years later, the entire country of Qurac would be annihilated by a much more powerful nuclear device at the hands of Cheshire.
* HilariousInHindsight: Count Vertigo and Kanto wind up fighting each other in Issue 35, which is funny considering that both characters would later be voiced by Michael York in the Franchise/DCAnimatedUniverse shows (the former appearing in an episode of ''WesternAnimation/BatmanTheAnimatedSeries'' and the latter in an episode of ''WesternAnimation/SupermanTheAnimatedSeries'').
* MagnificentBastard: '''[[Comicbook/AmandaWaller AMANDA WALLER]]'''. There are VERY few people in the DCU who beat her at this.
* NightmareFuel: In the New 52: [[spoiler:as of issue 6, Yo-yo is still alive inside King Shark's stomach and he appears briefly to beg for help.]]
* TaintedByThePreview: The New 52 reboot of Suicide Squad didn't make the best first impression. A lot of the people who would have eagerly supported such a book were put off by ComicBook/SecretSix getting cancelled seemingly to be replaced by the new Squad, and the new costumes (particularly for Harley Quinn) were... not well-received. Since the book officially launched, it has attracted a fair share of complaints for its characterizations that seem a bit off and for, what some consider to be, pointless design changes, such as Amanda Waller's slimming-up.
* TearJerker: In the DCRebirth series: how Rustam destroys Waller in ''Suicide Squad #10'', demolishing her IAmAMonster and TheDreaded facade.
-->'''Amanda Waller''':...I don't understand. [[PyrrhicVillainy This feels like losing. But I won.]]