* CrowningMomentOfFunny: Frank Mullen is a veritable wellspring of these. Chief among them is [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvGodNnKKs his drunken rendition of "New York, New York"]], as well as [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_zrFlKAh4 one of his frequent impromptu standup routines as shown here]], but really, go to a Suffocation show and there's a chance that Frank will say or do something highly amusing.
* FaceOfTheBand: Mullen and Hobbs share these duties.
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: One of the non-production criticisms against ''Breeding the Spawn''. This stance more or less disappeared after a few years.
* NightmareFuel: Many of their song lyrics and music videos have a high quotient of this, with [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYSU4XGLpI the video for "Cataclysmic Purification"]] being a standout example.
* SeinfeldIsUnfunny: Any death metal fan who knows anything will cite ''Human Waste'' and ''Effigy'' as all-time classics, but few people can fathom just how much those albums changed the face of death metal.
* SignatureSong: "Liege of Inveracity", "Infecting the Crypts", "Pierced from Within", and "Thrones of Blood".
* SophomoreSlump: Big-time. Some aspects of ''Breeding the Spawn'' have been VindicatedByHistory; particularly, the song-writing, which was attacked at the time as failing to bring any new element to their sound, is now considered to have been among the most technical ever produced by the band. However, to this day it's generally agreed that the production and engineering is a total failure that brings the album down several notches.