* FairForItsDay: ''Die Geschichte von den schwarzen Buben'' may come off as a bit racially insensitive to a modern day reader, while in fact it is [[SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped dropping an anvil]] ''against'' racism.
* NightmareFuel: The pictures.
* ParanoiaFuel: The Scissorman. To recap: a HumanoidAbomination who, should you suck your thumb, will jump from ''nowhere'' and unceremoniously chop them off. Sweet dreams.
* WeirdAlEffect: ''Die Geschichte vom Daumenlutscher'' is better known to modern audiences through the ''WesternAnimation/FamilyGuy'' [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOf_GRUVAE version]].
** They're also well known to those who've read Grant Morrison's run on ''ComicBook/DoomPatrol''. The first arc featured the Scissormen, creatures with scissors for hands that cut people out of reality. Hoffman's writing was directly referenced as the basis for creating the Scissormen.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids: The reaction most adults nowadays have to the book, due to all the death, bloody violence, and DisproportionateRetribution.