* AudienceAlienatingPremise: The whole premise of this show will be off-putting to many by today's standards, which is probably also why the show has vanished into obscurity.
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: The sadistic nature of the show and the truly unfair ButtMonkey approach to Eric makes the show very painful to sit through, especially considering Eric pretty much never wins anything at the end of each episode. You are pretty much watching a sympathetic man get beaten down again and again with no ThrowTheDogABone moments in sight. WebVideo/TheMysteriousMrEnter even pointed out that not even [[WesternAnimation/SpongeBobSquarePants Squidward Tentacles]], [[WesternAnimation/SouthPark Kenny McCormick]], or '''even''' the ''WebAnimation/HappyTreeFriends'' and ''[[WesternAnimation/FamilyGuy Meg Griffin]]'' have suffered from this much abuse. Doesn't help that, the few times [[ThrowTheDogABone something does go right]], it's just to [[YankTheDogsChain give Eric false hope]], making it impossible to feel happy for him when he gets a rare lucky break because you know it's just gonna end badly.
-->'''Mr. Enter:''' ''(Regarding Eric being successful in rescheduling his interview while in the emergency room in "Hospital")'' [[...]] I think the only reason the plot is doing it, is because if it didn't wave the carrot in front of Eric, we'd have no plot where you repeatedly hit him with the stick for the remainder of the 22 minutes.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Liz may be horrid to Eric, but a lot of people find her funny.
* FridgeBrilliance: While Eric does never win at the end of every episode, him always dying in the end could in a twisted way be seen as a reward given that his misery actually ends there.
* MagicFranchiseWord: P. P.'s is arseburger.
* NightmareFuel: How many watchers had [[SarcasmMode fond memories]] of watching Eric's stress vein strangle him when they were young?
** The donkey falling apart in ''Pony'' as if it was made of LEGO.
* PeripheryDemographic: This cartoon has been watched by children, even though it wasn't really for kids.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids: Yes, it's a cartoon, yes, it was made in Britain, and yes, the first series was brought to you by Klasky-Csupo. But this show occasionally uses British profanity (i.e.: "arse"). And there's an episode that's all about sex. Oh, and Eric [[NightmareFuel always getting strangled by his stress vein]].
** While the first series aired at 10pm in the UK, the second was screened at 6:45pm.
* TheWoobie: For a father character, you can't help but feel sorry for Eric.
** Claire too, considering '''EVERYTHING''' makes her ill.