* GeniusBonus: All the characters' last names are references to famous mathematicians and scientists.
** There are a number of visual references to René Magritte paintings, particularly [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man The Son of Man]].
* ParanoiaFuel: If you're a writer who has killed off characters. [[NightmareFuel Or maybe you are a character who isn't lucky enough to hear the voice of your narrator...]]
* TearJerker: At the end [[spoiler:when Harold decides to face his death.]]
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: Several critics bemoaned that the considerable talents of Music/QueenLatifah -- a capable lead in her own right -- were wasted in an "assistant" role that gave her very little to do.
* VindicatedByHistory: Though far from critically panned, the movie didn't quite get the type of praise it deserved (mostly because many people were skeptical about Will Ferrell being able to pull off a dramatic role and a lot of the praise ends up sounding like "who knew Ferrell could do this?" rather than "it's a good movie"). However, today it is often regarded as one of the best movies of 2006, with many people wondering why Ferrel [[AwardSnub didn't get at least nominated for Best Actor]] at the Oscars.