* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: Harold Crick singing ''Whole Wide World'' leading into Wreckless Eric's rendition of the song while he finally gets the girl
** Also the score provided by Spoon
** And Vangelis' [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Nky9lo8Nc "La Petite Fille de la Mer"]], accompanying Harold as he prepares [[spoiler:to meet his end]].
* CultClassic: Very slowly becoming this.
* GeniusBonus: All the characters' last names are references to famous mathematicians and scientists.
** And there are a number of visual references to René Magritte paintings, particularly [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man_%28Magritte%29 The Son of Man]].
* HeReallyCanAct: Will Ferrel is mostly known for his comic roles, but damn if this movie doesn't prove he can pull off a dramatic role. Crick's distress when he's told that [[spoiler: he must accept his death in order to make Karen's book work]] feels strikingly genuine.
* ParanoiaFuel: If you're a writer who has killed off characters.
* TearJerker: At the end [[spoiler:when Harold decides to face his death.]]
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: Several critics bemoaned that the considerable talents of QueenLatifah -- a capable lead in her own right -- were wasted in an "assistant" role that gave her very little to do.
* VindicatedByHistory: Though far from critically panned, the movie didn't quite get the type of praise it deserved (mostly because many people were skeptical about Will Ferrel being able to pull off a dramatic role and a lot of the praise ends up sounding like "who knew Ferrel could do this?" rather than "it's a good movie"). However, today it is often regarded as one of the best movies of 2006, with many people wondering why Ferrel [[AwardSnub didn't get at least nominated for Best Actor]] at the Oscars.
* TheWoobie: Harold.