* CompleteMonster: The three witch sisters and Septimus: they both want to cut a young girl's heart out to obtain immortaility and in their quest they're quite happy to murder and/or torture anyone who stands in their way. Lamia, the lead witch sister, stands out in particular because she has even less of an excuse than Septimus' quest to claim the throne, and actually ''commits'' vile acts while her two sisters keep to the shadows, all in the name of eternal youth and beauty.
** He's less of one in the book since all he has to do is get the gem necklace off of her, not cut her heart out. Though he's still willing to kill anything that gets in his way.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yio1vTuv7lQ Shooting Star]] and [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiXemEn2J8c The Star Shines]] are probably fantasy distilled into music form.
* EvilIsSexy - Lamia in her young form, though she doesn't actually seduce anyone.
** Septimus should probably also be mentioned. ...Septimus should definitely also be mentioned.
** Bernard, the boy-turned-goat-turned-hot-chick, who is ''very'' happy to be helping Yvaine undress. Though it's not really LesYay in this case since, again, Bernard is actually a boy, just a girl when this is transpiring.
** And in a much more creepy sense, Lamia and Yvaine pretty early on. The massage scene, anyone?
* MagnificentBastard - EvilPrince Septimus. Or at the very least, he tries to be one.
* OneSceneWonder: Peter O'Toole as the delightfully soft-spoken, black-hearted King of Stormhold, who has encouraged his seven sons to kill each other for years. He is disappointed that more than one of his sons is still standing when he's on his deathbed.
--> '''The King''': Of my seven sons there are four of you today still standing - this is quite a break with tradition, I had twelve brothers-
--> '''Septimus''': And you killed them all for your throne before your father, the king, even felt poorly.
* RetroactiveRecognition: Victoria may have been rejected by Tristan, but at least she gets to marry [[Film/ManOfSteel Superman]]!
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome - The epicness when [[spoiler:Lamia kills Septimus]] by [[spoiler:throwing his voodoo doll into a pond and thus making Septimus]] FLOAT IN MID-AIR has to be seen to be truly appreciated.
** Not as dramatic, but almost as impressive, is the scene where Yvaine tries to maul the witch Sal only to bounce off her like a magnet. Except with sparks. How the ''hell'' did they do that?
*** She has a rope/tether connected to her back which supports her weight and allows her to lean forward. The rope goes straight back behind her; if you look very carefully, you can see the background swim/blur slightly where they edited out the rope. As far as her hands bouncing off the shield, she might have just been miming that, and obviously they CG'd in the effects.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids: The story is standard fairy-tale fare, but chapter 1 has an explicit sex scene. A [[PrecisionFStrike strategically-inserted]] "fuck" appears shortly after.