* PortingDisaster: The SegaGenesis version, with its slideshow-like framerate. Sooo muuuch slowdooown...
* SequelDisplacement: If you are familiar only with the freeware ''The Ur-Quan Masters'', you might be surprised to know there was a first installment.
!!''Star Control II''
* BrokenBase: The voice acting. Either it's some of the best voice acting ever heard in a video game... or some of the ''worst'' voice acting ever heard in a video game.
* ComputersAreFast: The AI uses some secondary abilities with frame perfect accuracy too often. Syreen ships will trigger their song the moment they get in range. Utwig and Yehat ships raise their shields the instant they get hit and drop them right after. Shofixti Scouts ''never'' mistime a Glory Device detonation. It is a ''very good thing'' all of those are mostly on your side during the campaign...
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: "[=HyperSpace=]." Comes in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqzEpE4xZCw DOS]], [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeojOg6o2aw 3D0]], and [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFuaMj8H4Q remixed]] flavors.
** This is fairly common in Star Control II's music, really. Any number of commscreen tunes (especially Yehat and Thraddash) qualify.
* DemonicSpiders: When exploring planet surfaces, you'll usually be able to beat any creatures you encounter even before you acquire any lander upgrades, provided you have enough skill. Not so with Fungal Squids. Even though the damage they cause is only classified as Moderate, they are a lot faster than your lander, have quite a lot of HP, and are hunters (which means they will chase your lander relentlessly until either you or the Squid is dead).
** Slylandro Probes, which you will encounter very frequently. The only hard counter against them is the Chmmr Avatar, which you don't get until near the end of the game. Until then, the best counter is usually your own upgraded flagship, which exposes you to a lot of crew damage.
* DracoInLeatherPants: Admiral ZEX has become much more popular in certain sections of the fandom than was ever originally intended.
* EarWorm: Melee mode.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Fwiffo, being a funny LovableCoward who's also very good at fighting several common types of enemy ships, is quite beloved by fans.
* FreudWasRight: The Syreen and their Penetrators. They're not even trying to hide it, even [[LampshadeHanging lampshading]] it.
* GoddamnedBats: The Slylandro Probes, which are out of control [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft#Von_Neumann_probes Von Neumann probes]]. If you don't do the quest to get rid of them, you'll eventually find yourself up to your eyeballs in them.
** [[PinataEnemy Or swimming in resource units resulting from shooting them down, depending on how well equipped you are.]]
* GoodBadBugs: In the PC version, there was a bug that allowed you to sell infinite landers, gaining as many [=RUs=] as you like.
** Also present in previous versions of the game. Other notable glitch is the Cruiser's mighty point-defense laser (see it [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zE1z6Mf2pY by yourself]]).
* InterruptingMeme: The Slylandro Probes lend themselves to much chagri'''[[WeComeInPeaceShootToKill PRIORITY OVERRIDE.]]'''
* MostAnnoyingSound / MostWonderfulSound: Depending if you control the Pkunk Fury or not, it has 50% chance to revive and will chant "HALLELUJAH!".
* NightmareFuel: "They have names, but you do not know them. They would like to find you but they are blind to your presence... unless you show yourselves. The [[spoiler:Androsynth]] showed themselves, and something noticed them. There are no more [[spoiler:Androsynth]] now. [[spoiler:Only Orz.]]"
** "JOKE. YES. HERE. IS. A. JOKE."
** The gruesome descriptions of what the Ilwrath do to their captives.
* PlayTheGameSkipTheStory: Defied by the second game's design. If you don't pay careful attention to the dialogue, you won't be able to complete the game.
* SoCoolItsAwesome: IGN named it the 17th greatest game of all time. Gamespot also named it one of the greatest ever.
* TearJerker: The Taalo were explicitly stated to be immune to psychic powers. That psychic shield they left behind wasn't for them, but for their Ur-Quan friends, to free them from the Dnyarri. But the Ur-Quan never found it.
* UnwinnableByInsanity: Go to an enemy planet protected by an infinite fleet without your emergency warp escape unit. Lampshaded by the Thraddash, who keep score of how many of their ships you have destroyed, except for fights in their homeworld. Even ''they'' think that's incredibly stupid.
** Run out of fuel and keep refusing contact with the Melnorme.
** As noted on the main page, attempting to complete the game without ever making contact with the starbase was impossible. ''The Ur-Quan Masters'' made it inhumanly hard and tedious.
!!''Star Control 3''
* GameBreaker: The Doog Constructor ship, especially with the upgrade. The main weapon automatically points towards the enemy, and the secondary ability is a self-repair system.
* FanonDiscontinuity: [[Film/FightClub You do]] ''[[Film/FightClub not]]'' [[Film/FightClub talk about Star Control 3]].
* SpecialEffectFailure: The Harika is eating the Yorn! No, wait, a puppet is holding another puppet in its mouth... and now it's back in his pocket.
** All the other puppets, from the [[FetishRetardant unsexy]] Syreen, the vile, [[Film/ChildsPlay Chucky]]-like Arilou or the lazy-eyed Exquivan also fall under this trope. Not helping anyone's case is how poor the animatronics for each character is.
* SuperlativeDubbing: Whatever other problems the game may have had, a lot of the ''voicework'' was absolutely phenomenal, and in general of a consistently higher quality than the ''[=SC2=]'' 3DO voicework. Making this even more impressive is the fact that this was done in 1996 - a lot of studios still wouldn't take the quality, or volume, of their voicework very seriously until well into the next decade.
** The Pkunk's voice acting.
** The Xchaggers approach this too, but they are much more tolerable. Even though they have a much shriller and more childlike voice, what they actually say isn't nearly as saccharine.
** Finally, the Green Mycon (the Deep Children) also have extremely sappy dialogue.
* UncannyValley: Where has the Syreen's sexiness gone? For that matter, why do all the other aliens look like they stepped out of a bad Creator/RogerCorman film?
** You know you've fucked up your special effects when [[http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Syreen the game's original creators point out how much they suck]].
-->'''Paul Reiche III''': However, the Syreen should ALWAYS be sexy and strong. The image of them in [=SC3=] was spooky and unpleasant.
* ValuesDissonance: The Harika and Yorn. The Harika don't find it odd at all that they eat the sentient Yorn, while the player (As well as anyone who isn't into Vore) finds it...disturbing. Especially once the Yorn finally pops up and says "We like being eaten" and that they view it as exaltation and only go to be consumed if they want.
* VindicatedByHistory: A rare inversion. When it launched, ''[=SC3=]'' was given several high scores and was a critics' darling. Nowadays, not so much.