* AdaptationDisplacement: Not a lot of people know the novella the movie is based on.
* AwesomeMusic: Much of the movie's soundtrack, but especially the titular theme song "[[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCfQ6Bb8QE Stand By Me]]" by Ben E. King.
* HarsherInHindsight: Creator/RiverPhoenix's character in the film dies an untimely death. Phoenix slowly fades into the scenery and vanishes.
** Gordie and Chris' friendship becomes this as Creator/WilWheaton and Creator/RiverPhoenix's real-life friendship fell apart by the early 90s.
** In the book, Gordie mentions a trip to NYC in the late 1970s/early 1980s. He mentions touring the Empire State Building, and says "Fuck the World Trade Center, the building King Kong climbed will always be the tallest to me." Fast forward a couple of decades...
* HilariousInHindsight: Meta example. Creator/RobReiner seemed to be fine with the kid gang portrayed smoking mainly because it happened in the book. 17 years later Reiner who is now known as one of the biggest advocates of anti smoking gets parodied in ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark''.
** During the campfire scene, Gordie says "Wagon Train is a cool show and all, but they never get anywhere. They just keep...[[ShapedLikeItself wagon-training]]." The next year Creator/WilWheaton would, of course, become a cast member on Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration . Franchise/StarTrek was described (and pitched) by Creator/GeneRoddenberry as "WagonTrainToTheStars."
* HoYay: Are Chris and Gordie [[HeterosexualLifePartners like brothers]] or a couple?
* JerkassWoobie: Teddy is short-tempered, obnoxious, cruel and nasty but his homelife sounds so horrible you can't help but feel for him.
* MoralEventHorizon: When Ace is about to knife Chris.
* NauseaFuel: The "Lard-Ass" story, and the leeches.
* TheWoobie: Gordie, who by the end of the film has lost the only two people in his childhood who really cared about him, and Chris, who works incredibly hard to make something of himself only to be cut down for a stupid reason by a thug.