* AdaptationDisplacement: Not a lot of people know the novella the movie is based on.
* FridgeLogic: If Ray Brower had really been hit by a train, he probably would've been in much worse shape, and likely not even in one piece. And would have been significantly more decomposed after a time.
** In the novel, Gordie hints that something else might have happened to Ray Brower, pointing out to other discrepancies.
* FridgeHorror: It's stated in the 'making of' documentary on the DVD that, in order to get River Phoenix to cry, Rob Reiner told him to go away for a few minutes, and think about the biggest time an adult let him down. Reiner says he was never told what River was thinking about, but it was very effective. Now go read a little biography of River Phoenix, and how he spent his early years with his family in the Children of God cult, who are well known for their sexual views on children. It may be no wonder he later turned to drugs.
* HarsherInHindsight: Creator/RiverPhoenix's character in the film dies an untimely death. Phoenix slowly fades into the scenery and vanishes.
** Gordie and Chris' friendship becomes this as Creator/WilWheaton and Creator/RiverPhoenix's real-life friendship fell apart by the early 90s.
* HilariousInHindsight: Meta example. Creator/RobReiner seemed to be fine with the kid gang portrayed smoking mainly because it happened in the book. 17 years later Reiner who is now known as one of the biggest advocates of anti smoking gets parodied in ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark''.
* HoYay: Are Chris and Gordie [[HeterosexualLifePartners like brothers]] or a couple?
* JerkassWoobie: Teddy is short-tempered, obnoxious, cruel and nasty but his homelife sounds so horrible you can't help but feel for him.
* MoralEventHorizon: When Ace is about to knife Chris.
* NauseaFuel: The "Lard-Ass" story, and the leeches.
* TheWoobie: Gordie, who by the end of the film has lost the only two people who ever really cared about him, and Chris, who works incredibly hard to make something of himself only to be cut down for a stupid reason by a thug.