* BaseBreakingCharacter: Tammi is this. While she was initially introduced as a pleasant and compotent character who was sweet to Rusty, she would later suck the fun out of the series in any future appearances, with her enforced morals and demands for child support payment.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: At the end of the 9th episode, at the stadium, another Sheriff walks up to the real Sheriff and beats him to death with a club. It's never explained in the episode and just appears to be a random last minute gag. Another time, it shows Sheriff tied up in a chair, hopping to the Cuylers for help but is knocked out by another Sheriff. This is also never explained. However it is later subverted when it's revealed [[spoiler: that there's an entire cloning farm of sheriffs, which is likely where that one came from.]]
* CrazyAwesome: Early crosses into this at times.
-->"FIRE THE AMERIGATORS!!"
* CrossesTheLineTwice: Every single episode.
* CounterpartComparison: Dan Halen comes off a bit like ComicBook/VandalSavage, doesn't he? Both are [[WickedCultured cultured]], evil, [[ImAHumanitarian cannibalistic]] individuals who quest for power have committed atrocities over millennia, though Halen is a much more funnier take.
* DesignatedHero: Early Cuyler himself.
** The episode "Anabolic Holic" features a Hulk Hogan expy named "Thunderclap", who lost his title following an incident involving an African person. Years later in 2015 Hulk Hogan lost his WWE title after a scandal involving him repeatedly using the "N" word.
** One episode has Early smashing Glenn's Father's Day mug and insulting his children. In a later episode, Glenn says that his children died in a house fire.
* LesYay[=/=]IncestIsRelative: Lil and Granny french-kissing in the episode "School Days, Fool Days".
** Ga Ga Pee Pap "12 Gun" Cuyler towards his grandson Rusty in "Dead Squid Walking".
*** In both cases, and a few other unmentioned ones, and this cannot be stressed enough; '''NoYay'''.
* MisaimedFandom: The series has many fans among conservative southerners, the very people whose lifestyles and beliefs are scathingly mocked.
* MoralEventHorizon: After years and years of off the wall crazy drunken antics, Early managed to finally cross the line in "Gun of a Son" where [[spoiler: in a drunken fit of rage he shoots Rusty in the face putting him in the hospital in critical condition and afterwards managing to pin the whole incident on his baby Grandson getting HIM arrested [[KarmaHoudini and thus getting off scot-free]]. Yeah you read that right, Early managed to get an innocent baby sent to jail, HIS OWN GRANDSON! AND critically injure his son (granted he's done it before but all those times it was PlayedForLaughs)]].
** Baby Deathtrap.
** Granny after her surgery in "Beast Implants".
* TheWoobie: Glenn and Donna are frequently the victims of harassment by Early (sexual harassment in Donna's case, bordering on sexual assault). As if that wasn't enough, their children died in a house fire.