* CrossesTheLineTwice: "White Women". It seems racist at first, but after a listen or two it just seems ridiculous.
* DorkAge: Their SynthPop period, (excluding the acclaimed ''No. 1 in Heaven'' and ''Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins''). While these albums certainly have their fans, it's a big point of contention.
* EarWorm: Many of their songs.
* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: They were always more popular in Europe - especially the UK, where ''Kimono My House'' made them famous - than their native USA. To put it into perspective, they were ''huge'' during the 70s and have had many successful singles throughout their career in Europe, whereas the only song to reach very high in the US charts was "Cool Places" in the 80s.
* LoveItOrHateIt: See DorkAge.
* SignatureSong: "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us", and to a lesser extent "Beat the Clock". Every one of their style phases may also have its own signature tune.