* ActorAllusion: Jake Gyllenhaal at one point says "[[Film/DonnieDarko Everything's going to be OK.]]" [[spoiler: [[CaptainObvious It isn't]].]]
** Also this is not the first time he has had to deal with [[spoiler: [[DonnieDarko alternate realities/time traveling]] ]]
** Lest we forget that Scott Bakula is once again involved with [[Series/QuantumLeap a time travel project]] (although briefly).
* AdamWesting: Comedian Russell Peters basically plays an expy of himself.
* EsotericHappyEnding: The ending is clearly ''meant'' to be happy, with [[spoiler: Colter starting a new life in an AlternateUniverse where the bombing was averted]]. But there are two major problems with that scenario:
** Firstly, the entire movie frames the "Source Code" device as a tool for viewing the '''memories''' of the deceased, and we're given flimsy evidence (at best) that the the world of Fentress' memories is actually a fully formed universe. Naturally, this has led many people to conclude that [[spoiler: Colter is simply living out his days trapped in someone else's mind]].
** Secondly, even if you accept that [[spoiler: Colter has found a second chance in a new universe]], it doesn't change the fact that [[spoiler: he's just stolen someone else's life and identity, everyone (including his new love interest) believes that he's someone he's not, and all of his old friends and family still believe that he's dead]]. No matter how you slice it, [[spoiler: Colter can never go back to his old life, and he's lost all of his loved ones]].
* HeyItsThatVoice: Colter's father is played by none other than [[Series/QuantumLeap Scott]] [[Series/StarTrekEnterprise Bakula]]. As the film was tagged by its creators as ''Film/GroundhogDay'' meets ''Series/QuantumLeap'', this is probably [[ActorAllusion not coincidental]].
* SpecialEffectsFailure / UncannyValley: When Colter is rolling on the ground after jumping off the train, it's a little too obvious that it's a CGI stand-in.
** Deliberately invoked when [[spoiler: Colter realizes his body is dead.]]
* TheWoobie: Colter. He's trapped in a dark box, not knowing what is happening to him, and is forced to live his own death and witness countless others over and over again [[spoiler: without being allowed to die properly]].