* AntiClimaxBoss: After the grueling Metal Sonic battle, you're treated to a 15-second fight with Dr. Robotnik in his PoweredArmor, who can almost effortlessly be taken down, as he can only do a PPP combo and a throw. Combine this with the fact that you start with a perma-[[SuperMode Hyper Mode]] to encourage you to really let loose on him or [[NonStandardGameOver the Death Egg II will self-destruct]] [[HaveANiceDeath with you in it]] if you have more HP than Robotnik when time runs out. What's odd is that Robotnik -does- have a full (and quite deadly) moveset, as using cheats to play as him reveals, he just doesn't use it because it would be unfair considering the time constraints.
* AwesomeMusic: [[AwesomeMusic/SonicTheHedgehog It wouldn't be a Sonic game if it didn't have some]].
* CultClassic: While [[SoOkayItsAverage not the most well-received]] spin-off of the ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' series (and more-or-less a "''Fighting Vipers'' with ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' characters" game), it does have a cult following for being an obscure ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' fighting game.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Bean and Bark after they were reintroduced in Archie's ''Sonic The Hedgehog'' comics and were written as hilarious, bounty hunting HeterosexualLifePartners.
* GameBreaker: Sonic's spin-dash move, which deals heavy damage and is fast-hitting.
* ItsEasySoItSucks: The most common complaint against the game is that it's very easy compared to most fighting games. Some even claim that you can win by holding down one button.
* PolishedPort: The [=Model2=] Collection's UpdatedRerelease on [=PlayStation=] Network and Xbox LIVE Arcade, as it has the DummiedOut characters added (though only a few, not all of them), online multiplayer, and a SoundTest function by using the trigger buttons on the controller.
* ThatOneBoss: [[WakeUpCallBoss Metal]] [[SNKBoss Sonic]] is [[LightningBruiser fast as Sonic, hits hard as Bark]], [[MadeOfIron he can take as much as he can dish out]], and has Tails' [[ThatOneAttack annoying throwing move]]. And if you try to cheat your way past him by breaking all of his barriers, he TurnsRed and uses a powerful (and unblockable) corkscrew attack over and over until you are dead.
** Before him, Bean (the seventh opponent you face, before Sonic and Metal Sonic) is usually seen as a major difficulty spike compared to the opponents you face before him.