* AdaptationDisplacement: You bet your ass that re-releases of ''Literature/QAndA'' feature ''Slumdog Millionaire'' much more prominently than the original title.
* AmericansHateTingle: And Indians hate Slumdog Millionaire the same way, for having needlessly glamourised negative stereotypes about their country, or even a prominent city. In fact, many Indians were dismayed that Slumdog actually won so many awards.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The final scene. Why are they dancing?
** This doesn't come out of nowhere quite as much if you're familiar with Bollywood films, which use "everybody dances" endings often. If you aren't, it will probably just invoke a FlatWhat.
** It also could be seen as a reference to the earlier scene when they are kids. Before Jamal is about to sing for Maman, he asks Latika to dance with him and performs a silly dance for her. Some of the dance moves he does are repeated during the Jai Ho dance and the kid actors reappear during the dance, highlighting how the two are finally together.
* ClicheStorm: For Bollywood viewers. Directly caused its poor reception in India.
* CompleteMonster: Slum boss Maman is [[FauxAffablyEvil charming, friendly and cheerful]] to orphans he meets, offering the young Jamal and Salim [[BaitTheDog ice cold coca colas]] and offering them a place to stay. It is revealed Maman takes in orphans to use as a begging ring for him, and the kids are just free labor. Even worse, cripples earn more money, so when children display good singing talent, Maman has them blinded with acid to increase the revenue. When Salim and Jamal escape, Maman captures their friend Latika and several years later gives her the name 'Cherry' while intending to use her as a child prostitute. The only reason he hasn't done so already is as a virgin, she's worth a great deal of money. When he finds the young Salim and Jamal, he immediately plans to kill them, declaring "Maman never forgets."
* EarWorm: "JAI HO! (''[[GratuitousForeignLanguage Baila, baila!]]'')". The equally Oscar-nominated [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUQht1HRmY O... Saya]]" (featuring M.I.A) as well.
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: Almost to the day when the film is being released worldwide -- the platforms of the CST, where much of the film (e.g. the "Jai Ho" dance sequence) takes place, is the scene of a particularly bloody terrorist attack.
* HarsherInHindsight: LifeImitatesArt to a small extent for the slum-dwelling child stars. One of their houses (still a shack, their limited compensation being tied up in a trust fund) was bulldozed by the government, and another faced allegations that their family tried to sell them for adoption to a wealthy couple.
* HypeAversion[=/=]HypeBacklash: It won Best Picture at the Academy Awards. And that is all we shall say on the matter.
* MemeticMutation: See BecauseDestinySaysSo and SayMyName.
** Also, Anil Kapoor's pronounciation of the word, "Millionaire."
* NauseaFuel: How to leave an outhouse over a river with only two exits, a jammed door and... guess it.
* StrangledByTheRedString: Jamal is in love with Latika and literally risks his life to find her because... they were friends as kids? Granted, they went through some very rough stuff together, but it's entirely possible for two kids to go through a bad time and not fall in love. The presence of the trope is only confirmed by the movie's explanation for their ending up together: "It is written". They're together because they HAVE TO BE, OK?
* TheWoobie: Jamal. Because after seeing [[JustForPun how much crap he's gone through]], you can't help but want to give him a big hug.