* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: the song that plays over the end credits:
--> ''Darlin' I love you, but leave me the fuck alone...''
* EnsembleDarkhorse: The temperamental and foul-mouthed Mayor is likely the most popular character in the film.
* HideYourGays: Margaret being a lesbian is only brought up once and briefly, so you'd be forgiven for not knowing she's a lesbian.
* MemeticBadass: According to the wrap-up tape, Bill Pardy ended up as this for the cast and production staff of the film.
* TearJerker: The look Starla and Grant share before [[spoiler:she has to blow him up.]]
* UnfortunateImplications: [[spoiler: The only characters to survive are the ones that seem to be a bit more open-minded or educated, in other words: those that die are country folks or red necks.]]
** FridgeBrilliance: The only ones that survive are the ones willing to learn and adapt, in other words evolve, like Starla was teaching earlier in the film.
** Also, let's be fair; while there might be something to the 'country folks and red necks all die' point, equally it's not like 'being open-minded and educated is a good thing, and might come in useful in a crisis or even save your life one day' is the worst message a movie can have.
* XMeetsY: ''Film/NightOfTheCreeps'' meets ''Film/TheThing1982'' meets ''Film/TheBlob''.