* DamselScrappy: Done deliberately with HotScoop Polly Perkins, as in the [[PulpMagazine pulps]] ''every'' female character was a DamselScrappy. Franky and the MysteriousWoman however are typical modern [[ActionGirl Action Girls]].
* FridgeBrilliance: The idea that Dr. Totenkopf, [[spoiler:who has been dead for 20 years in the story]], is being portrayed using re-cut archived footage of LaurenceOlivier, who had died 15 years before the film is released. [[spoiler:The idea of a dead man portraying a dead man just kinda seems to work.]]
* FridgeLogic: A minor case, Joe refers to "WorldWarOne." At the time the film is set, the sequel hadn't broken out. It would have been called "The Great War."
** Actually, WorldWarOne was being reffered to as such prior to the outbreak of WorldWarTwo. As the Zeppelins seem to be headed by Germans but not Nazis, one might assume that in this universe, World War Two was a conflict not started by the invasion of Poland (although the East Asia war probably happened/is happening, given references to Tojou Hideki and Manchuria).
* HamAndCheese: Angelina Jolie as Franky.
* SignatureScene: The robots attacking New York.
* ValuesDissonance: A [[PrivateMilitaryContractors mercenary commanding his own private air force]] seems an unusual choice for a hero now, but makes sense for the time the movie is set, when the exploits of the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_tigers Flying Tigers]] in China made them popular heroes and a good choice for a hero.