* AuthorsSavingThrow: General reaction to [[spoiler: Ben Reilly's]] new suit was overwhelmingly negative. It was later announced that he would return to his much more popular classic costume for [[BlatantLies "story-driven]] [[SuspiciouslySpecificDenial reasons".]]
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Ben Reilly is considered by many fans like the only good thing that came out of ComicBook/TheCloneSaga.
** Kaine via the 2012 series has won over many fans as well, primarily because he's snarky as ''hell''.
*** And from that series, Kaine's "sidekick" Aracely due to being a walking [[SugarWiki/FunnyMoments Crowning Moment Of Funny]].
*** In fact, the entire supporting cast from that series are Ensemble Darkhorses.
** Kaine wants to be hardcore but Houston won't let him.
*** [[MadLibsCatchphrase Kaine wants to be hardcore but [Insert Current Situation] won't let him.]]
** Kaine can talk to spiders.
** The scene of Kaine web-swinging before running of out buildngs, causing him to slam onto a roof. '''HOUSTON'''
* MyRealDaddy: Writer Chris Yost solidified Kaine's characterization as a snarky JerkWithAHeartOfGold with a propensity for [[SymbolSwearing #?$%!]] profanity.
* ReplacementScrappy: Ben Reilly became this during the short time he replaced Peter as Spider-Man. Amazingly averted with Kaine, who, despite being originally a BaseBreakingCharacter and replacing Ben Reilly (who as the Scarlet Spider was an EnsembleDarkhorse), now rivals Reilly in popularity.
* RescuedFromTheScrappyHeap: Kaine used to be considered a generic NinetiesAntiHero who was at best tolerable and at worse one of the many things wrong in the Clone Saga. Becoming the new Scarlet Spider did wonder for his popularity, turning him into an EnsembleDarkhorse.
* TheWoobie: Kaine, especially in the "Sibling Rivalry" crossover with Comicbook/SuperiorSpiderMan.
** Kaine's costume. If you flipped the chest & back designs around, it'd look more like a superhero costume, but as it is, from certain angles it looks like Kaine's wearing a onesie on top of a black & red Spider-Man costume.
** Ben's second Scarlet Spider suit. An overwhelmingly large majority of people hate the look, with many feeling like it's a bad combination of Spidercide and a male Spider-Gwen. The costume's colours and logo are off, and while it tries to invoke the original look with a hoodie, the less thrown-together nature of it makes it look like a copy of Spider-Gwen's hoodie. To say people are not pleased with the look is an understatement.