* AwesomeMusic: They may be tough, badass robbers, but ''man,'' can they sing. Then again, when you're outcasts from society sitting around in a castle, music and theater is pretty much the only entertainment you've got. This was shown prominently in the movie, with musicians being cast instead of actors for many roles. [[http://youtu.be/WbioT0qXZIQ Songs can be found here.]]
* CounterpartComparison: Ronja and Birk (being the kids of two mortal enemies, who still end up loving each other) are a LowFantasy version of Theater/RomeoAndJuliet. [[spoiler: They get a happy ending though.]]
* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: Not only did the movie win the 1985 Berlin International Film Festival's Silver Bear, but both the musical and stage adaptation has been written by Germans.
** The harpies, especially in the movie.
** TheFairFolk almost kidnapping Ronia. In the movie, they start making eerie sounds as the mist drags in, whispering "come", and Ronia starts walking in a trance, mumbling "I'm coming..." all the while.
** Mattis' InelegantBlubbering following [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdyWpkHljk Skalle-Per's death]]. Even more so when every Swedish TV channel used the clip to illustrate the entire country's reaction to Creator/AstridLindgren's death.
** "''I have my child''!"
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Despite only appearing in a few scenes throughout the series [[http://hound-bound.tumblr.com/post/110209031861 the harpy is extremely popular]]. A lot of people feel that she has an oddly attractive face.
* UglyCute: The depiction of the grey dwarves are certainly intended to be creepy, but their short stature and flipper-like arms make them resemble baby penguins.
* UncannyValley: Some of the characters have sufficiently realistic 3D models to end up here.