* AwesomeMusic: The musical score by Marc Streitenfeld.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYPasc_i4qg This beautiful piece of Celtic music]] (Woman of Ireland) that Robin and Marion do their DanceOfRomance to.
* CompleteMonster: Godfrey is a sadistic and cruel knight. Originally the closest friend of Prince John, Godfrey betrays him, and his entire country for personal gain, selling them out to the King of France to reconquer as long as he himself profits. Godfrey leads an assault to burn an entire village and kill anyone there, innocent or no. His crowning moment of villainy is challenging the old, blind Sir Walter to a fight, enjoying tormenting the old man and making a spectacle of it, until Walter lands a small blow, which leads to Godfrey brutally killing him in a fury.
* CriticalBacklash: The film has gotten mostly negative reviews, as collated by Rotten Tomatoes, some for [[TheyChangedItNowItSucks not being a retread]] of [[InkStainAdaptation the Flynn and Fairbanks films]]. While the film has flopped in the US, it has taken about double the amount abroad. See also InternetBackdraft below.
* JerkassWoobie: King John is brash, lecherous and doesn't lack KickTheDog moments, but consider the situation he's in. He's the runt of the family and nobody ever expected him to rule, his relationship with his mother is abysmal since she has always loved Richard more than him and he finds himself at the head of a very indebted kingdom. And then he finds out that his childhood friend Godfrey is conspiring against him.
* MemeticMutation: "OUTLAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!"
* MoralEventHorizon: Godfrey was bad before, but killing Walter Loxley when he barely represented a threat, then locking all of the Nottingham villagers inside a building and then ''setting the building on fire FOR NO REASON'' sends him flying over the edge of this trope.
* RetroactiveRecognition: [[Creator/OscarIsaacs King John]] is [[Film/TheForceAwakens Poe Dameron]].
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: Most of the negative sentiment about the film can be boiled down to this phrase. Ironically, [[InternetBackdraft people were already badmouthing the film before its release]] for being [[ItsTheSameNowItSucks a Robin Hood "remake"]]. Of course, not one Robin Hood film has been a remake of previous ones, but they all draw upon the same source material.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodPlot: The twist of Robin Hood being [[DeadPersonImpersonation a common archer taking the identity of a nobleman knight]] could have been much more interesting if the movie was actually ''about'' his outlaw adventures.
** England's head of state waging war in the Middle East has led to financial troubles keenly felt by his successor.
** Robin tells Richard that he doesn't think God would be pleased with his crusade. Not the crusade ''itself'' but the massacre of prisoners after the battle of Acre.
** The American Tea Party movement, unsurprisingly, LOVES the story of a down-to-earth soldier fighting against both a menace to his nation's border and the oppressive and unjust leadership of his own government.
** The idea of individual liberties and other enlightenment ideals (which won't really become popular for another few hundred years, but this is Hollywood after all) that were key in the American Revolution.