* AudienceAlienatingPremise: Poobala.com noted this trope on [[http://www.poobala.com/maryandrhoda.html their page]] for the show. It suggests that a happily married and contented Rhoda may've alienated some viewers who liked her original characterization (a DeadpanSnarker with low self-esteem and dating troubles) better. However, as they said, attempting to put Rhoda back the way she was on ''Series/TheMaryTylerMooreShow'' definitely made things worse.
-->"...people might not like the happy and contented Rhoda but they also don't necessarily want to see her happiness shattered and her marriage ruined!"
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Six words: "Hello, this is Carlton, your doorman."
* HollywoodPudgy: Brenda constantly refers to herself as fat, [[ReplacementFlatCharacter just like Rhoda used to]].
* MorePopularSpinoff: At least in Britain, where this proved to be more successful than the parent show.
** Rhoda's sister is [[WesternAnimation/TheSimpsons Marge Simpson]].
** Carlton the Doorman is known to a later generation as [[WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends Garfield]].
* SeasonalRot: Starting with the third season, where Rhoda and Joe have an explosive argument that leads to a separation. By the end of the season, they've divorced (it's finalized at the start of season four). While the writers felt this was a better direction for the Rhoda character, the viewers disagreed and the show never recovered.
* ShippingBedDeath: One of the rare examples where the audience was fine with a TheyDo scenario, but the writers weren't. Their solution to their problem ended up killing the show with a divorce plotline that consumed the entire third season in a failed attempt at a ReTool.