* FunnyAneurysmMoment: The show was on during the 1980s, but the premise [[https://www.fastcompany.com/40456604/these-women-entrepreneurs-created-a-fake-male-cofounder-to-dodge-startup-sexism is sadly still a reality today]].
* GrowingTheBeard: The show found its niche in the second season when it removed most of the cliches (see My Name is Not Durwood) and had Steele go from comic relief to legitimate character, as well as adding Doris Roberts as Mildred Krebs to replace James Read and Janet Demay's characters, who many felt were a little stiff.
* JustEatGilligan: Laura had to invent a male superior in order to drum up business for her P.I. firm. But why didn't she just partner with Murphy, put his name on the door, and pretend to work for him?
* SeasonalRot: Most fans would like to forget the final season happened.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSong: The season 2 double episode opener "Steele Away with Me" features extended action sequences with music obviously based on the Franchise/JamesBond theme, as well as the theme song from ''Film/FromRussiaWithLove''.