* AcceptableLifestyleTargets: The main trio all lived with their parents when the show started. While this was never truly made fun of, it was considered [[LoserProtagonist "pathetic" and used to show that the trio lacked drive each in their own way]]: Sam was purposely encouraged not to try to hard by his parents (who assumed he was going to be taken to hell for their sins), Sock was lazy, and Ben was too weak-willed to get out from under his mother's thumb. All three overcome this when they move out halfway through the series and get an apartment together.
* AcceptableTargets: There's a portal to Hell in the DMV. What do you mean that's not normal?
* CrazyAwesome: Sock.
* EvilIsCool: Dude, Ray Wise as TheDevil is the epitome of cool.
* EvilIsSexy: [[spoiler: In the second season, Ben starts dating Nina, a demon. When she's in human form, you have this. When she's not, you have FanDisservice.]]
** When Sam performs CruelMercy on a corrupt Sheriff, letting him suffer by letting him live; Nina notes that she was wrong and Sam truly ''is'' evil, then promptly grabs him and gives him TheBigDamnKiss. She apologizes, pointing out that she's a Demon, she can't help evil being a major turn on.
* FridgeBrilliance: Sam is [[spoiler: the only one of the Devil's children who's openly defiant to his face and willing to tell him off... which is ''exactly'' the relationship the Devil had with his own father, God.]]
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: At the end of second episode, Andi jokes about [[spoiler: being in Hell together.]] Then the end of the series happens and it looks like [[spoiler: she was right.]]
* HoYay: Tony and Steve aside, Sock has an awful lot of moments like this toward Sam (telling him he's never been more attracted to a man, the making out in the woods comment, always mentioning how tasty he looks, the hugging/butt slapping...), and there's even a little vice versa (calling Sock 'sweetheart', that hand-holding thing when Sam couldn't stand up well, anticipating his emotions expertly, etc). The episode "''Leon''" even included a little break-up-make-up plot.
** Nina tells Sock she was't sure if he was gay or straight, thinking he was attracted to Ben. Although she probably just said that to annoy him, as it was in a nightmare she sent him.
* LargeHam: Sock
* MagnificentBastard: The Devil, often mingling with CrowningMomentOfAwesome. Consider, for instance, ''The Cop'': [[spoiler:he teleports Sam into a high-class restaurant and presents him with an expensive watch and a dinner of fresh lobster, supposedly as a reward for a job well done. Then vanishes a split-second before the check arrives, leaving Sam to pay for both meals. Oh, and the watch was taken from the corpse of a recent murder victim, which makes Sam the top suspect as soon as a cop notices it.]]
* MoralEventHorizon: Greg, Andi's ex-boyfriend, also counts, [[spoiler: what with selling his soul for a Jedi mind trick to force Andi to be with him.]]
* NightmareFuel: Possibly in "Coming to Grips" - after beheading a soul, Sam wants ham to eat and supposedly ham tastes a lot like humans.
* RomanticPlotTumor: The aforementioned Sock/Kristen plot in the first half of Season 2, which many fans felt took up too much time.
* SeasonalRot: The first half of season two isn't liked as much, with the main contributor being the largely useless subplot involving Sock being hung up on his new stepsister Kristen, with several episodes focusing more on this than the MonsterOfTheWeek or the MythArc. Things improved once Kristen was PutOnABus and Sock started acting like his old self again.
* TookALevelInJerkass: Andi at various points in the second season, when she starts attacking Sam when he seems to be making the best of his impossible-to-escape situation with the Devil. Potentially justified, as Sam isn't the most motivated person and him eventually just accepting his lot rather than trying to get out of it is a possibility, but a lot of her comments do come off as mean-spirited. [[spoiler: [[HeroicSacrifice More than redeemed]] in the finale, however.]]