* EsotericHappyEnding: Hathaway's weapon ''worked''. Blowing up Hathaway's house still proved that it worked; and it's shown that the CIA knew it was a problem with targeting; not the laser function. Chris had given the schematics (the dynamite laser) to Hathaway before he decided against it. Even if the original KillSat was destroyed after destroying Hathaway's house due to the reflected laser; Hathaway and his military contacts would have made copies of this information.
** That is, unless it was subject to added public and Congressional scrutiny--see [[Headscratchers/RealGenius Headscratchers]].
* HoYay: Between Chris and Mitch, so very much.
* ItWasHisSled: By now the popcorn house ending is fairly well known.
* StrawmanHasAPoint: At no point does any of the protagonists bother to exposit ''why'' it's so wrong to build a laser capable of vaporizing ground targets from space. They simply state that it is, and act on that basis.
** Hathaway lied to them and used them to build weapons. It was their tech and work and he stole it from them to use to kill people. They had a moral connection to that work and could not stand the idea of their work used to kill people.
** Even if building a death laser for the government is not wrong in and of itself, taking people who don't want to build a death laser for the government and tricking them into doing precisely that is unethical. If informed consent ain't informed, then it ain't consent.
* TheWoobie: Mitch, deliberately.