* ADayInTheLimeLight:''Greengrass' Night'' is one [[CaptainObvious for Greengrass]].
* AuthorsSavingThrow: ''The Return of Tambelon'' and to a lesser extent ''Magic Tutor'', both by RDD himself and intended to fix some problems with the Lunaverse's narrative. The former exists primarily to change Corona's character into something less monstrous and therefore both easier to write as a villain [[spoiler: while also making sure that she won't go overboard and have people hating her return to grace by the end of the season.]] Zecora's role in the series is also more clearly defined [[spoiler: she is working with Corona because she knows that Corona has some part to play come the season finale]]. ''Magic Tutor,'' meanwhile, exists to finish Twilight's arc happily, by placing her in Ponyville where she can make friends, while also making it clear that [[spoiler: no one in Ponyville really cares about the Ursa Minor incident from ''Boast Busted,'' since monster attacks happen all the time in Ponyville]].
* BrokenBase: There are four camps relating to 'At the Grand Galloping Gala', the culmination of the season 1 'Night Court' storyline. One faction feels that the fic ruins things because it makes the Night Court too dark and evil, able to cause a whole town to suffer because one pony in it hates Trixie. One faction feels that the fic ruins things because it turns Trixie and co. into hypocritical criminals and Luna into a tyrant (an ironic protest given that she expressed fear of that very thing happening InUniverse) for letting them get away with what is essentially treason in order to expose/punish the (comparatively smaller) crimes of the bad nobles. A third group thinks that the fic breaks everything in both ways; that by implying that treason is the only way to fix the Court, it makes the Court far more broken and malign than before while also not actually solving the corruption (since Trixie and co. would get away with what they did). And a fourth faction likes things just fine or wishes the Court's punishment had been more severe.
* CrackPairing: [[spoiler: Pinkie Pie and Blueblood]] if the end of the Gala is anything to go by.
** [[spoiler: Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo]] also fill this role quite nicely.
* CrazyAwesome: Trajectory. His ultimate plan? It's to ''destroy the sun'' with a catapult. Which basically means firing safes, anvils, and pianos towards it. Essentially, he's shooting unbelievably heavy death in ''every direction'' because he doesn't understand how far away the sun is.
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: As of 'At the Grand Galloping Gala', some readers perceived the L6 as descending to the level of the corrupt nobles and planning to commit high treason to fight them, which caused them to stop caring which side wins.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Octavia Philharmonica has had a CharacterDevelopment arc throughout the season that is arguably as meaningful as those of the Elements of Harmony, even getting her own character focus episodes.
* FoeYay: In ''The Hero of Oaton'', Cut N' Dry starts crushing hard on Raindrops at first sight.
* HypeBacklash: Antithesis, the villain of the long-awaited ''Crisis on Two Lunaverses'' has been derided for her lackluster nature.
* IronWoobie: Piano Amour. Her family's situation was going downhill so hard that she didn't care anymore even if she'd fail the symphony: she'd get Luna's attention one way or another, no matter what it'd cost to herself.
* JerkassWoobie: If you still think of Applejack as being a jerk after reading Carrot Top Season, you might be part demon. Everything she does she does because she thinks that she has to and, since she works too hard, she has no idea why the townsfolk might not like her.
** Diamond Tiara in ''Scootalong for the Cheer''.
* MemeticSexGod: According to chapter 5 of "Beating The Heat," ''everypony'' has dreams about Big Macintosh. Granted, the story is non-canon with the rest of the Lunaverse...
* MisaimedFandom: Some readers have a habit of assuming the worst of certain characters. The standout examples being the belief that L!Applebloom is a bully similar to Diamond Tiara, and that L!Twilight [[spoiler: would be perfectly willing to team up with Corona.]] These ideas seem to annoy RDD enough to discourage people from believing them.
** RDD has also noted that readers have come to see the Lunaverse as a lot darker than he originally intended.
*** Both of these examples have lessened considerably since ''Carrot Top Season'' and ''A Chance Encounter'' have been published. The former showed Apple Bloom in more detail and the latter proved that Twilight does not sympathize with [[spoiler: Corona]].
** UpToEleven with 'At the Grand Galloping Gala', which even has some of the authors protesting how dark the story has gotten.
** [[spoiler: Corona kidnapping about 50 foals from Ponyville and threatening to slaughter them unless Ponyville stays nice and quiet and accepts her as their new Queen. This is maybe ten minutes, max, after she's escaped from the sun.]]
** [[spoiler: Later, Corona decides to destroy Canterlot and a good chunk of the surrounding countryside due to Shining Armor's trolling her, despite stating not thirty seconds previously that, as an immortal, she has all the time in the world to wait for Shining Armor to grow tired and stop being able to project his shield around Canterlot. She is fortunately (if accidentally) stopped by Zecora before she can go through with it, but still...]]
** The reader consensus is that Flim and Flam have well and truly crossed this horizon by [[spoiler:kidnapping Apple Bloom]].
** Long comment threads in 'At the Grand Galloping Gala' reveal that some folks think that fic includes moral event horizons for Viceroy Night Light (who [[spoiler: delayed reconstruction funding to Ponyville because he hates Trixie]]), the Court as a whole (who tolerates this), and/or Trixie (who RDD has implied will [[spoiler: use the Truth is a Scourge potion on the entire Court and force them all to reveal all their secrets, which would be hypocritical, since that act itself is highly illegal and borders on treason but she intends to do it to protest the illegal dealings of the Court]]).
* OneSceneWonder: Coconut, Featherbed, Marching Order, Duke Greengrass in ''Carrot Top Season'', and the Sirens (with a musical number, no less)
* PuritySue: Dinky, especially come Season 2, is loved by absolutely everyone in Ponyville, very good at magic, and utterly sweet, kind and lovable, with little to no negative traits whatsoever.
* RonTheDeathEater: Some feel the deconstruction of the canon Mane Six falls into this, due to the treatment they get and how few good points they seem to have.
** On the other hand, the various authors of the Lunaverse noticed this problem and have spent considerable time rectifying their original portrayals of the Mane-6 in later fics.
* TastesLikeDiabetes: Cherilee's reaction to learning that Dinky saved for almost a year to get money for Ditzy's birthday present.
** Also lampshaded later by Amethyst Star.