* ActionGirl: Marion spends a lot of time as the DamselInDistress, but she's usually not sitting around waiting to be rescued.
* AnticlimaxBoss: One of the rare great examples, if the number of tropes referencing the WeaponTwirling scene is any indication.
* AwardSnub: A pretty minor one, considering it lost to a good movie like ''ChariotsOfFire'', and was up against a major epic like ''Reds'' and well-received dramas ''OnGoldenPond'' and ''AtlanticCity''. But of those films, ''Raiders'' had made a more lasting impact (on summer blockbusters, adventure films as a respectable money-making genre, Harrison Ford's bankability outside of StarWars, etc.)
** Spielberg losing Best Director to actor Warren Beatty (for ''Reds''). While Beatty is a respectable director over a decent career, Spielberg was at the height of his powers directing incredibly well-made action movies. It would get worse when Spielberg lost the following year over ''ET'' (after which is when he started making serious Drama movies).
* EnsembleDarkhorse: [[Creator/JohnRhysDavies Sallah]].
* FirstInstallmentWins: ''Raiders'' is an undisputed classic. The sequels are more varied.
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: As Indy speaks with Marcus while packing for his trip, Indy says "You sound just like my mother" as he dismissively speaks of the Ark's powers ([[ProperlyParanoid which turn out to be very real]]). In ''Film/IndianaJonesAndTheLastCrusade'', we learn that Indy's mother passed away during his childhood, and his relationship with his father fell apart afterwards. And he grew to hate his father for being so obsessed with the Holy Grail, rather than focusing upon Indy.
** [[Film/SnakesOnAPlane "There's a big snake in the plane, Jock!"]]
** In his film debut, Creator/AlfredMolina has spiders crawling all over him. Years later, he stars as Doc Ock, ComicBook/SpiderMan's nemesis in ''Film/SpiderMan2''.
* MagnificentBastard: Belloq is quite audacious, until he opens the Ark himself.
* RetroactiveRecognition: As mentioned above, DoctorOctopus teams up with Dr. Jones to find the Hovito idol.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: When Indy shoots the truck driver from the Cairo market, leading to the truck tipping over, the mechanism being used to tip it is visible.
** When Indy and Marion escape the Well of Souls, watch the shadow of the rock he pushes out. It bounces off the ground, thanks to being made of rubber.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome: The melting head. It may not look as impressive nowadays but back when Raiders came out in 1981, that scene was the most talked about out of everything else.
!![[VideoGame/RaidersOfTheLostArk Video Game]]
* GoddamnedBats: Thieves and tsetse flies.