* BaseBreaker: LOLBAT is in the lead, although a lot of Kurtz twists and addons have the same element. Skull's diminuitive, ambitious cousin, and Scratch Fury and many others all have their detractors.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Scott's Dad is probably the darkest horse to become as popular as he has with the fanbase, but Scott does try not to overuse him.
* HilariousInHindsight: An early strip has Skull take over from Robbie for a while, wearing his hat. After Robbie comes back, Skull refuses to give it back unless he's given another hat to replace it. "Make it a really cool hat". DescriptionCut to Skull wearing a fez. [[Series/DoctorWho After all, fezzes are cool]].
** This was lampshaded in a 2011 strip where Skull gets out his old fez and announces that MattSmith has made them cool again.
* LesYay - Brent mistakes Jade and Miranda for this at Miranda's introduction to the comic.
** Also occurs when Jade creates her own women's only magazine. See ThanksForTheMammary.
* MemeticMutation - '''[[http://www.pvponline.com/my-parents-are-dead Batman's parents are DEEEEEAAAAD!]]'''
* TheScrappy - Skull's cousin Schecky. Lampshaded when he reappeared for Thanksgiving 2012, with a cartoony "Aww Hell! Shecky's Back!" title card.
* MarySue - Marcy, who bests Francis in everything, is a [[InformedAbility talented artist]], and whose only flaw is jealousy, once, when Francis flirts with a cosplayer. Also, she easily gets into an art school with two unfunny comic strips, while Francis gets teased for wanting to go to gaming college, then mocked and derided for 'not growing up.'
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodPlot - Several of Kurtz' recent (well, last-couple-of-years kind of recent) plots build up an impressive and possibly even grandiose story arc, only to fizzle out on a short anticlimax. Take for example Robbie's brewing company, Brent's deal with the devil, or the developer that tried to bribe them into giving a good review of his game, all plots which could have been fantastic if not for the fact that Kurtz apparently chickened out right when he got to the hook.