* DirectorDisplacement: ''Pretty in Pink'' was directed by Howard Deutch, but it's viewed as a Creator/JohnHughes film.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Ducky, despite being simply a supporting cast member, is considered by many to be the most memorable character in the film.
* FanPreferredCouple: An interesting example; the test audience disliked the original ending, where Andie ended up with Ducky, because they felt it created a BrokenAesop about not crossing class lines (which was arguably what the film was about). When the film was released, it had a new ending in which Andie ended up with Blaine, but this was ''also'' met with a poor reaction, and Ducky/Andie has been a FanPreferredCouple ever since.
** Notably not just a ''[[FanPreferredCouple Fan]]'' [[FanPreferredCouple Preferred Couple]], but also a ''Creator'' Preferred Couple as well. John Hughes disliked the ending, and rectified it with ''SomeKindOfWonderful'', which features a similar (if not identical) plot, albeit [[GenderFlip gender-swapped]].
* InformedAbility: Andie's sewing skills and fashion sense. Come on, that prom dress is hideous! And the fuschia tights and baby pink shoes...Even in TheEighties that was a fashion "don't."
* RetroactiveRecognition: You know the kid who almost gets hit in the eye with a staple? That kid grew up to be [[TheAquabats MC Bat Commander]].
* StoicWoobie: Andie is this when you consider the fact that her mother left the family and that she always knew her mother didn't love them. SINCE SHE WAS FIVE.