* ClicheStorm: ''[=ReBURST=]'' doesn't break any new ground or play around with the conventions of the ShonenDemographic. The tropes used in the manga are ones you've seen many times before played straight without any creativity.
** If a female is in a fanservice-y pose (in the splash pages or otherwise), expect her pose to require a rubber spine or her body to have misshapen parts.
** The BURST forms themselves look too human for Pokemorphs while simultaneously looking too ''in''human for gijinkas, [[UncannyValley hitting just the right measure of "human"]] to turn off fans of both.
* HypeBacklash: It was hyped as a DarkerAndEdgier Pokemon manga in comparisons to the others but when it came out a lot of people were turned off by the FetishRetardant, HotBlooded protagonist, and especially the ''lack of actual Pokemon''. Even the people who stayed usually see it as SoOkayItsAverage.
* SugarWiki/MomentOfAwesome: Ryouga taking the Akebo head on like a man, followed by the akebo shattering on impact with ryoga's body.
* SoOkayItsAverage: Putting aside the [[TaintedByThePreview skepticism to the premise]], people faithfully read on...and generally found it to be underwhelming, but not horrible.
* TearJerker: The "Mother" chapter. [[spoiler:Karuta finds out that his mother had died after he brought the medicine for his village.]]
* UncannyValley: The character's BURST forms tend to be unappealing, looking less like they fused with the pokemon and more like they ''skinned'' them.