* AwesomeMusic: The music from the Planes "Take Flight" [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7prGN78sME teaser]].
** El Chupacabra's "Love Machine" song.
** Mark Holman's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F3DF9qYTuU "Nothing Can Stop Me Now"]] that plays in the film's opening
** Franz originally had a cute EarWorm-y polka song, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScnuGZpfE_c "Ein Crop Duster Can Race"]]. Looks like it was cut for time, which is a pity.
* ClicheStorm: The film is just the typical "underdog overcomes the odds and wins in the end" story, except the characters are planes and cars.
* CriticalDissonance: Critics hated the film, regarding it as a bland retread of ''Cars'' created only to sell more toys. This didn't stop the film from making back its budget.
* DoubleStandard: There have been complaints on feminist sites such as ''Jezebel'' about how while there are two female planes racing, they are considered as love interests instead of actual competition. They seem to miss the point that Ishani is a Pan-Asian Champion and Rochelle got into racing as, when she was a postal plane, she'd fly as fast as possible to help those who needed spare parts.
** Then again, both were minor characters who lacked any arc and were treated largely as love interests.
* FridgeHorror: [[spoiler: Skipper's squadron being shot down on-screen, since the planes themselves are alive. Rough stuff for a kid's movie]]
** WWII exists in this world. That means there was a car/Plane Hitler, and thus a carlocaust...
*** Cue the mental image of Volkswagen beetles doing the car equivalent of goosestepping.
*** And of course, for there to be a WWII, there must first be a WWI. Which makes one wonder how trench warfare works if everyone (on land) is on wheels.
* MisBlamed: Much of the Hatedom for this movie is aimed at Pixar despite the movie being written and designed by [=DisneyToon=] Studios and animated by Prana Studios in India (due to outsourcing).
* MoralEventHorizon: Ripslinger sending Ned and Zed to sabotage Dusty during the China-Mexico stretch.
* TheScrappy: Some people consider Rochelle to be this.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSong: Since Dusty's daydream at the beginning of the film plays like a scene from ''TopGun'', it's no surprise that the soundtrack strongly resembles Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone".
* WhatAnIdiot: Well, well, well, Ripslinger. Had you not [[spoiler:turned yourself to the cameras near the finish line]], you wouldn't have [[spoiler:let Dusty win]].
** Actually exploited on Dusty's part. Rip's habit of doing this was pointed out to him earlier in the film, and he took advantage of it to sneak by Ripslinger in his blind-spot and steal first place.