* AbridgedArenaArray: Throughout ''PSU's'' run, players have sought out the Free Missions with the most efficient EXP gain. The lobbies for those missions would be accordingly packed full as well. In Vanilla PSU, this first happened to "Plains Overlord," then to "The Mad Beasts," then to "Endrum Remnants." When ''[=AotI=]'' was released, this honor went to "White Beast," and remained so whenever an event wasn't going on--to the point that ''PSU'' itself was derisively nicknamed "White Beast Universe" as no one seemed interested in running any of the other missions in the game.
** This tendency prompted Sega to introduce the "GUARDIANS Boost Road," encouraging players to run chains of other missions for greater gains compared to spamming a single mission over and over.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: No one seems to mind that you can find random traveling cake shops, Pizza Huts and [= KFCs =] in dungeons ranging from VR simulations to military complexes. Or ''Portable 2's'' random BonusBoss subspace dragon at the end of some dungeons. Or when [[ProductPlacement Colonel Sanders]] [[GuestStarPartyMember joins as a party member]]. Gurhal is a strange place.
* ComplacentGamingSyndrome: [=CASTS=] and Beasts were more commonly used by serious players (For melee and gun-using classes) than Humans or Newmans due to their LimitBreak racial abilities. For [=TECHNIC=]-using classes, however, Newmans (particularly female Newmans) were the top pick.
* EarWorm: The sub-series' theme tune, ''Save This World'', in its multiple incarnations. People either adore it or find it ear-splittingly grating, especially the original version from ''Universe.''
** Anga Jabroken, in reference to Anga Jabroga's status as a Gamebreaker.
** Lolitechers, who are [[TokenMiniMoe very small]] Newman female Fortetechers/Masterforces/etc.
* GameBreaker: Some weapons and Photon Arts were considered this during the game's run.
** Anga Jabroga, an Axe Photon Art, was infamous for being capable of easily wiping out crowds of enemies. It was nerfed later on, though.
** Dus Majarra, a Spear Photon Art, was capable of dealing incredible damage during the second attack in its combo. When Dus Majarra was nerfed, it was that part of the combo specifically that was targeted.
** Shotguns were also considered this at a point, especially when used by Gunmasters.
* IdiotPlot: ''Episode 1,'' which resulted from having [[IdiotHero Ethan]] as the protagonist.
* IKnewIt: Many theorized that [[spoiler:Hyuga has become a Dewman,]] which is confirmed in [=PSP2i=].
* MemeticMutation: "Segac," a derisive FanNickname for Sega due to their lackluster management of the game outside of Japan. The meme was inspired by the [[BlackMarket Kubara weapons]] that are said to be just as effective as their legitimate counterparts. [[InformedAbility Allegedly.]]
* MoralEventHorizon: Light Master Dohgi Mikuna is revealed to have crossed this a long time ago when [[spoiler: Ethan discovers that Dohgi had been using Mirei Mikuna's gifts of divination for rogues and other criminals, receiving payments for doing so]]. Long before that, Dohgi placed a Mark of Light on [[spoiler: Karen, Mirei's twin sister, to bolster Mirei's vitality; the Mark saps Karen of her abilities, which leaves her unable to use [=TECHNICs=]]]. During ''Episode 1'', Doghi [[spoiler: attempts to finish the job by sacrificing Karen's life in order to prolong Mirei's. Mirei tries to stop him, but is met with a powerful Technic that kills her]].
* StopHavingFunGuys: You didn't have to do much to get booted from a party, especially at the end boxes in certain missions.
* ThatOneBoss: Magas Maggahna is quite the LightningBruiser. It has plenty of powerful attacks, it moves around a lot (and ''loves'' to spam its teleport,) it can stop damage with a shield, and breaking its bottom part makes it even harder for melee characters to damage it.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodPlot: A minor example. Importing a character from ''Phantasy Star Portable'' to its sequel [[spoiler:results in ''no'' significant storyline differences. Even characters whom you've met before in the first game don't seem to recognize you, and the only one that does is Vivienne, who's an ''optional'' partner in ''[=PSP2=]'' (unlike, say, Tonnio and Liina, both of whom are met at the start of Chapter ''2'' and aren't optional), and even then that only amounts to a couple of changes to her dialogue upon meeting you. The fact that there isn't even an attempt at an explanation for it is also bothersome. As such, there are players that feel that SEGA dropped the ball in this regard, but at least importing still nets you a unique title and some neat items.]]
* TierInducedScrappy: Humans received some flak for [[MasterOfNone not being as specialized as the other races]]. For melee and gun-using classes, they were outclassed by Beasts and [=CASTs=] (especially since they lacked SUV Weapons/Nanoblasts.) For [=TECHNIC=]-using classes, Newmans had better stats suited for those classes.