* FridgeBrilliance: In ''OutboundFlight'', there's that whole [[BittersweetEnding unhappy issue]] of Thrass and Lorana [[HeroicSacrifice sacrificing themselves]] for the survivors, [[TheGreatestStoryNeverTold who would never know what they did]]. While the remains of Outbound Flight shudder through hyperspace, Lorana holds the engines together through the Force while Thrass tries to find his way to the survivors, but the pylons are blocked. In that last stretch, when they have to crash on a planet with the Dreadnaught they're on hitting first so that the survivors and the single hyperspace-capable fighter will be above the surface, they have a MoreHeroThanThou moment that ends with both of them staying, since Lorana has to land this thing and keep the systems from self-destructing, and Thrass knows she can't afford the time it would take for her to clear a path for him. Lorana has a lightsaber, and could have given it to him and let him cut his way out. But while Thrass has seen the lightsaber deflect his charric bolts, he doesn't know about its cut-through-anything ability. And Lorana may have decided not to tell him, since he's a Chiss, does not know Basic, and would be instantly associated with the attackers if he met the survivors, and anyway cutting his way out might simply have made holes that let in the vacuum. Or perhaps she simply never thought of it, considering all the shocks she'd just had and the incredible pressure that was on her. Either way, her bones and Thrass's were found mixed together [[SurvivorsQuest fifty years later]].
* GodModeSue: Thrawn gets accused of this, particularly in both the battle against the Trade Federation and the [[MeleeATrois three-way battle]] between his forces, Outbound Flight and the Vagarri.
* MagnificentBastard: In ''Survivor's Quest'', the [[spoiler: Vagaari]] have a whole very complicated plan to get into the Redoubt, take over, get the battle droids in stasis on Outbound Flight, return, and take their revenge on the Chiss. But the Chiss allowed the information to be leaked that led to the [[spoiler: Vagaari]] forming their plan, and in turn the Chiss formed an entire plan around drawing their enemy out and carefully allowing them to do just enough to satisfy the Chiss [[MartialPacifist martial pacifism]] before war could be declared. Mara Jade wonders at this whole plan.
* MaryTzu: Thrawn gets accused of this more in ''Outbound Flight'' than even in the original Thrawn Trilogy, mostly thanks to being able to destroy a vastly superior task force without a single casualty. The enemy commander explicitly being an idiot probably helped.
* TheWoobie: Lorana Jinzler. Aside from Obi-Wan, she's the single most unambiguously "good" character in the story.