* Anvilicious: Violent drunkenness is bad and no substitute for the restrained warrior traditions. Maori people are screwed badly if they don't accept it. OK, do we have to keep seeing Jake swear and beat the shit out of more people we don't care about to get that?
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: It gets rather hard to care about the storyline about hallway through, after the fifth beating, 50th fuck and second rape.
* EarWorm - "What's the time, Mr. Wolf? What's the tiiiiiiiiiimmme?"
* MemeticMutation - Notably [[spoiler:"Cook me some fuckin' eggs!"]] and [[spoiler:"Uncle FUCKIN' Bully!"]].
* MoralEventHorizon: For most viewers, Jake crossed it when he has violently raped Beth about a third into the film. However, the film doesn't think so and keeps showing us him committing more despicable things until we ''definitely'' get that yes, he is a monster and is irredeemable.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodPlot: The Toa Aotearoa gang. We see that they use Maori culture for their ends and that they accept Nig and provide support for him, but this requires him to endure a brutal beatdown. Is their existence is a way for downtrodden Maori youth to make their way in life or something that further marginalises the peaceful majority of Maori from the white population?. Are their attempts to connect with Maori culture through the tattoos are one of the few ways to preserve it in the cynical, value-free world or something that makes a mockery of its original meaning? Those questions are far more interesting than seeing Jake beat the shit out of someone for the ''nth'' time. However, they get no attention in the film and aren't addressed at all.
* WhatAnIdiot: Uncle Bully. If Jake's family come into the bar and accuse you of [[spoiler: child rape ''that you have done'']], and then hand him a diary which details ''exactly what you have done'', the smart thing is to flee while he's still reading, no?
* TheWoobie- Poor, poor Grace gets it particularly hard. [[spoiler:She's sexually assaulted by Uncle Bully, and quickly starts to lose hope]]. After a heaping of particularly horrid abuse from Jake, [[DespairEventHorizon her despair is enough to]] [[spoiler:cause her to [[DrivenToSuicide hang herself]] from the old tree in their yard.]] [[TearJerker Yeah, you may want to get some tissues.]]