* CrowningMusicOfAwesome - [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKiT3icMYM "To Be A Hero", the heart-stirring theme song of the franchise,]] based on the traditional Chinese Ballad ''Jiang Jun Ling'' (''General's Orders''). A hot-blooded song that tells you to "shine brighter than the sun!"
** Be careful - it's a potent EarWorm.
* EvenBetterSequel - Part 2.
* RetroactiveRecognition - Marvelous as Donnie Yen's performance as AntiVillain General Narlan Yuenshu was in ''Once Upon A Time In China 2'' (in which he actually won the ''Best Supporting Actor Trophy'' of the Hong Kong Oscars in 1993), nobody expected him to rise to the success of portraying Wing-Chun master ''IpMan'' almost 15 years later.....
* UnconventionalLearningExperience: Even if the series runs on RuleOfCool and ArtisticLicenseHistory, it still neatly covers the final years of Imperial China. Never heard about unequal treaties? Or maybe the fact that China was ruled by Manchurians? Or how Western powers tried to slice pieces of China for themselves? Then please, take a seat.
* UnfortunateImplications - White people in this series are mostly portrayed as violent, greedy, trigger-happy barbarians. While this is not a totally unfair picture of the behaviour of Westerners in China at the time by any means, the fact that a lot of things portrayed (like the massacre in Canton) flatout did not happen does not help.