* AsideGlance: Occasionally Diana does this towards the audience at things she finds silly.
* AwardSnub: The lack of a Tony nomination for Creator/AaronTveit.
* BrokenBase: When Creator/AaronTveit, the original Gabe, was replaced by Kyle Dean Massey, the fanbase became divided between who was a fan of the show and who was a fan of the cast. And don't even get them started on Alice Ripley vs. Jessica Phillips vs. Marin Mazzie.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: A lot of it, including "You Don't Know"/"I Am the One," "I'm Alive," "Make Up Your Mind"/"Catch Me I'm Falling", and "Light".
* DawsonCasting: Partially averted--although Creator/AaronTveit was twenty-five playing eighteen, Jennifer Damiano was still in high school herself when she started playing Natalie in the original off-Broadway production.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Gabe and Natalie, while extremely important, aren't the leads--that honor goes to Dan and Diana. Not that the fandom would let you guess that. Natalie, in particular, gets a lot of love and sympathy, since the show's (massive) teenage fandom can relate to her desire to be appreciated and loved, as well as her struggles to be the best.
* FridgeHorror: Natalie is 16 and Gabe says he's "almost 18". Gabe [[spoiler: died when he was eighteen months old.]] So, with basic math and the knowledge that pregnancy lasts nine months, you realize that [[spoiler: Diana was already pregnant with Natalie when Gabe died. She went through with this pregnancy despite the fact that her son died 3 months ago ''maximum.'']]
** In the actual performance, [[spoiler: Gabe was only ''eight'' months old.]] It's actually fairly common for there to be minor differences made in the script and score between recording the soundtrack and the start of the run.
*** [[HarsherInHindsight "I couldn't hold her in the hospital...]] I couldn't ''let'' myself hold her."
** But in "Make Up Your Mind," she says "We had Natalie to... and I ''know'' she knows..." That sounds like they tried to conceive a new child, not that they opted to continue a pregnancy through a very painful time.
* InformedAbility: We are told Natalie is a genius, yet she is shown struggling with schoolwork and piano, which people in real life have been able to manage without any problem. Although this may be a result of her having to deal with a dysfunctional family, in any case, as far as we can tell, she doesn't seem to have any abilities that seem Yale-worthy.
* TheWoobie: Every member of the family for their own reasons.
** Natalie because she is neglected by her mother and always coming in second best [[spoiler: to a brother that isn’t even alive.]]
** Dan is trying to keep together a dysfunctional family while trying to keep a façade up of everything being fine.
-->"Now I'm strolling right beside her as the blackhole opens wide, mine is just a [[spoiler: slower suicide.]]
** Diana is the biggest and most prominent in the show. She has to deal with a mental illness, what is either a [[spoiler: sadistic and domineering projection of her subconscious, or an angry spirit fearing being forgotten, who looks like the son she lost]], and to top it all off, her family is starting to crack because of her.
** Gabe. [[spoiler: If you really believe his presence is there.]] He doesn’t want to be forgotten by a family he barely knew. Also, [[spoiler: a medical tragedy robbed him of life when he was infant.]]