* AwardSnub: The lack of a Tony nomination for Creator/AaronTveit.
* BrokenBase: When Creator/AaronTveit, the original Gabe, was replaced by Kyle Dean Massey, the fanbase became divided between who was a fan of the show and who was a fan of the cast. And don't even get them started on Alice Ripley vs. Jessica Phillips vs. Marin Mazzie.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: A lot of it, including "You Don't Know"/"I Am the One," "I'm Alive," "Make Up Your Mind"/"Catch Me I'm Falling", and "Light".
* FridgeHorror: Natalie is 16 and Gabe says he's "almost 18". Gabe [[spoiler: died when he was eighteen months old.]] So, with basic math and the knowledge that pregnancy lasts nine months, you realize that [[spoiler: Diana was already pregnant with Natalie when Gabe died. She went through with this pregnancy despite the fact that her son died 3 months ago ''maximum.'']] [[HarsherInHindsight "I couldn't hold her in the hospital... I couldn't ''let'' myself hold her."]]
* InformedAbility: We are told Natalie is a genius, yet she is shown struggling with schoolwork and piano, which people in real life have been able to manage without any problem. Although this may be a result of her having to deal with a dysfunctional family, in any case, as far as we can tell, she doesn't seem to have any abilities that seem Yale-worthy.
* TearJerker: "He's Not Here", "A Light In the Dark", and pretty much the whole last half hour of the show.
* TheWoobie: Every member of the family for their own reasons.
** Natalie because she is neglected by her mother and always coming in second best [[spoiler: to a brother that isn’t even alive.]]
** Dan is trying to keep together a dysfunctional family while trying to keep a façade up of everything being fine.
-->"Now I'm strolling right beside her as the blackhole opens wide, mine is just a [[spoiler: slower suicide.]]
** Diana is the biggest and most prominent in the show. She has to deal with a mental illness, what is either a [[spoiler: sadistic and domineering projection of her subconscious, or an angry spirit fearing being forgotten, who looks like the son she lost]], and to top it all off, her family is starting to crack because of her.
** Gabe. [[spoiler: If you really believe his presence is there.]] He doesn’t want to be forgotten by a family he barely knew.