* ContestedSequel: [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros To]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBrosTheLostLevels the]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros2 original]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros3 Super Mario Bros.]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld games]]. It didn't get this reaction too bad until Nintendo announced a third and fourth game to be released in the same year. Many people began to deride Nintendo for over-relying on the sub-series, if not ''Mario'' as a whole, derisively being compared to the oversaturation of the ''VideoGame/CallOfDuty'' series. For reference, NewSuperMarioBros launched in 2006, and in less than a decade has now accumulated more installments and DLC than series that have been around since the N64 era, like PaperMario or SuperSmashBros. Though it hasn't stopped each game from being a commercial success, and while the critical reception has remained positive, fan reactions have been more polarized.
* DuelingGames: ''VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBrosWii'' to ''VideoGame/RaymanOrigins'' (and to a lesser extent, ''VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog4'') and ''VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBrosU'' to ''VideoGame/RaymanLegends''.
** The Fire Flower from the original game is not only easier to master than every other power-up, it's also far more common, and can tear right through most bosses.
** There's also the VideoGameFlight ([[NotQuiteFlight or at least something close]]) power-ups: The Propeller Mushroom in ''Wii'' [[spoiler: and ''U'']], the Super Acorn in ''U'', and the Super Leaf in ''2''.
* ItsEasySoItSucks: A common complaint of the sub-series, at least the handheld games. The console games are much more difficult.
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: Every game in the series invoked this reaction from people due to it being a 2D platformer with the same artstyle, which reached a peak with ''2'' and ''U''.
* MostAnnoyingSound: The "BAH!" sound that permeates most of the music in the series to some, mostly because of it's omnipresence.
* SeinfeldIsUnfunny: The fanbase was pretty hyped for the original ''New Super Mario Bros.'', as it was the 2D Mario revival they had been clamouring for, and it got massive critical and commercial success upon release. It also helped revive 2D platformers on consoles. Not long after the release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, [[VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog4 other]] [[VideoGame/RaymanOrigins titles]] [[VideoGame/DonkeyKongCountryReturns followed]]. Now, with new ''[=NSMB=]'' games having been released on a fairly regular basis, some fans have grown to view the sub-series as a pointless, boring series of rehashes, and often compare it unfavourably with other ''Mario'' titles.