* ContestedSequel: To the [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros original]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBrosTheLostLevels four]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros2 (or five)]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros3 Super Mario Bros.]] [[VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld games]]. It didn't get this reaction too bad until Nintendo announced a third and fourth game to be released in the same year. Many people began to deride Nintendo for over-relying on the sub-series, if not ''Mario'' as a whole, derisively being compared to the oversaturation of the CallOfDuty series. For reference, NewSuperMarioBros launched in 2006, and in less than a decade has now accumulated more installments and DLC than series that have been around since the N64 era, like PaperMario or SuperSmashBros. Though it hasn't stopped each game from being a commercial success, and while the critical reception has remained positive, there are still plenty of fans who feel the games are too similar to one another.
* DuelingGames: VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBrosWii to VideoGame/RaymanOrigins (and to a lesser extent, VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog4) and VideoGame/NewSuperMarioBrosU to VideoGame/RaymanLegends.
* GameBreaker: The Fire Flower from the original game is not only easier to master than every other power-up, it's also far more common! Oh, it can tear right through most bosses.
** There's also the VideoGameFlight ([[NotQuiteFlight or at least something close]]) power-ups: The Propeller Mushroom in ''Wii'' [[spoiler: and ''U'']], the Super Acorn in ''U'', and the Super Leaf in ''2''.
* ItsEasySoItSucks: A common complaint of the sub-series, at least the handheld games. The console games are much more difficult.
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: Every game in the series invoked this reaction from people due to it being a 2D platformer with the same artstyle, and it gets worse with every new installment.
** MissionPackSequel: It hasn't gone unnoticed that the games have a habit of not just [[CallBack reusing assets from past Mario games]], but reusing the same assets from each other. [[GenreSavvy Savvy players]] will notice that even [[CutandPasteComic the covers themselves]] [[CutandPasteComic tend to reuse slightly altered artwork]].
* MostAnnoyingSound: The "BAH!" sound that permeates most of the music in the series to some, mostly because of it's omnipresence.