!!Regarding the game itself:
* BrokenBase: This is probably the best way to describe the multitude of divisions of fans and the subdivisions of these divisions.
* CatharsisFactor: One of the reasons the game is addictive.
* DudeNotFunny: Some people reacted this way to the 2011 April Fools' joke, which involved setting people's accounts up to look like they had been hacked.
* GameplayDerailment: Nationstates stands out as a franchise whose methods of playing the game could almost all be considered forms of GameplayDerailment. Perhaps the most extreme example is the interregional combat system that players have improvised out of World Assembly elections, regional ejection mechanics, and huge amounts of MetaGame coordination. WordOfGod says that the creator didn't anticipate this but still finds it immensely entertaining.
* GoodBadBugs: A very common one, in the form of (example): "'This raises an interesting issue,' says Elizabeth Winters, [[GenderBlenderName your brother]]."
* TrueNeutral: When your nation is categorized as a [[http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Government_Category#Category_Map "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy".]] (it's in the middle when it comes to personal, political, and economic freedoms)
* WildMassGuessing: [[http://www.nationstates.net/page=news/2013/03/25/index.html What the tagline for the news item]] '''[[http://www.nationstates.net/page=news/2013/03/25/index.html "REGIONS WILL FALL"]]''' [[http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=232237&hilit=regions+will+fall have resulted in.]]
!!Regarding the roleplaying section of the game:
* AssPull: Surprisingly fitting trope to start with.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: [[http://www.nationstates.net/murray_the_evil_skull Murray the Evil Skull]]. He even [[http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=158539&p=8262369#p8262369 calls this trope by name.]] That said, though, the only really evil things he does are put curses on people and [[FelonyMisdemeanor sing country music.]]
* LeeroyJenkins: The Ryou Black Islands and all his previous incarnations.
* MagnificentBastard: The forum moderators are equal parts respected and hated.
* MarySuetopia: Somewhat averted by the game itself, which attempts to indicate that all nation types have their drawbacks, but often played painfully, painfully straight in roleplay.
* MemeticBadass: Some of the older and more respected roleplayers are this.
** On the General (ie off-topic) forum, Lunatic Goofballs has been practically deified. The mods responded by making him a mod.
* StopHavingFunGuys: A recurring issue over just about every kind of role playing you can imagine, but most often seen from players who yell at people using RuleOfCool things.
!!Regarding Forum 7, the casual off-topic place:
* MemeticMolester: Grittonia, but he is loved all the more for it.