* FollowTheLeader: After the success of the film, many TV commercials (notably candy commercials for Skittles and Trolli) tried to emulate the film's style by featuring absurd, deadpan humor and realistic-looking kids in late '70s - early '80s clothes.
* FountainOfMemes: The whole damn script has appeared on a t-shirt at some point.
** Everything Napoleon says. "Gosh!" "Frickin' idiot!" "I like your sleeves." "''Fine!''"
** Also, Kip's "Your mom goes to college!"
** "Tina you [[DepartmentofRedundancyDepartment fat lard]] come get some dinner!"
** [[OneSceneWonder BOW TO YOUR SENSEI]]!
** And the [[TheMerch "Vote for Pedro" shirt]] might count as well.
* HypeBacklash: Some have found the film to simply be boring and awkward (even though that's sort of the point).
* LoveItOrHateIt: Uniquely, both the Love & Hate sides of the equation cite [[RandomEventsPlot the exact same reason]] for their opinion of the film. Netflix's recommendation system, which is generally quite accurate, [[http://whimsley.typepad.com/whimsley/2009/10/netflix-prize-was-the-napoleon-dynamite-problem-solved.html just can't predict how people will rate this movie]].
* SoBadItsGood: [[StylisticSuck Done intentionally]], to [[LoveItOrHateIt mixed results]].
* WatchItForTheMeme: Or at least, the lines all your friends have been repeating ad nauseum.
!! Animated Series
* JerkassWoobie: Uncle Rico. In the AnimatedAdaptation he is despised by pretty much by everyone. At the end of one episode is revealed that he is a very sad and lonely guy.
* SoBadItsGood: In a manner similar to the movie it was based on.