* CounterpartComparison: With her backstory, Anna is, in the end essentially Nan with her flaws accentuated.
* CrowningMomentOfFunny: After Nan learns that she must [[spoiler:sacrifice one of her friends, Pablo and Santiago immediately volunteer. In desperation, she looks to Kim... who only gives an incredulous look followed by "Don't look at me. I wanna live."]] MoodWhiplash certainly, but a much-needed bit of levity nonetheless.
* EvilIsCool: The [[http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questarch/src/128580080372.gif Pilgrim]] and the [[http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questarch/src/127242484088.gif Padre.]]
* FridgeHorror: It's pretty much the author's signature.
** By the end of the adventure, we learn that Nan continuosly relive the memories of one of the fallen guests from the hotel. [[spoiler: The first time she does that, she wakes up as Henry's wife. Now think about why he becomes the Pilgrim...]]
** [[spoiler:The reader also learns by the end that Henry gets stark naked to don the Pilgrim's costume. And that's exactly how he is found as, when introduced to the story...]]
* NightmareFuel: Plenty:
** Basically every time the lights go out, and, sometimes, when they turn on.
** [[spoiler: The monstrosity that lives in Henry's room sometimes. It's around 8 feet tall, covered in ragged hair and caked blood. When the room is viewed from the outside, bloody chains are laid across the door and are visibly straining against a force from the other side. ]]
** The boiler scene, dear sweet god the boiler scene.
** We have discovered a note numbered 466. [[spoiler: '''NAN''' I WON'T LET YOU LEAVE]] Keep in mind that was probably written in [[FridgeHorror 1828]].
** The scene where we actually meet the Pilgrim first hand...[[spoiler:And we see Anna's ''FACE!'' Dear, sweet Lord, her ''FACE!'']] ''Dios mío''.
*** Both the Padre and the Pilgrim are pretty much the ''epitome'' of '''''HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL UNLEADED'''''.
** Pablo's ''[[http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questarch/src/12857458293.gif little freakout]]'':
-->"''I made a mistake...\\
It wasn't supposed to be like this...\\
But, now you're back!\\
Now I have a '''second chance!'''''"
** Anderson needs to [[http://tgchan.org/kusaba/quest/src/136462015781.gif calm down]].
* TheWoobie: Lorenzo gives off this impression even from the start, [[spoiler: then we find out about his role in the sacrificial ritual. He had to watch all these people voluntarily burn to death, some of whom he probably knew well.]]