* CrossesTheLineTwice: Chook is in a detention center, accused of raping a Japanese tourist; Tania can't believe that, since "Chook ''hates'' the Japanese!"
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome -- The scene where Muriel tries on the wedding dress for the first time featured a reworked version of Dancing Queen.
* HollywoodHomely -- Toni Collette reportedly put on 40 pounds in 7 weeks with the help of a dietitian in order to play the role of Muriel, and unflattering wardrobe and make-up were used to give her a more homely look. As always, however, your mileage may vary.
* TearJerker -- [[spoiler:Muriel's mother arrives late to the wedding and is stood in the back, Muriel walks directly past without seeing her mother who starts to cry. Cue tissues]].
** [[spoiler:The suicide of Muriel's mother, especially when Muriel later flips through her photo album.]]
* TheWoobie: Where to begin?
** Muriel has some shades of being a [[ManChild woman child]], but she's overwhelmingly a sympathetic misfit character, being bullied by her "friends," publicly humiliated and emotionally abused by her father, and desperate to change herself by getting married.
** Muriel's mother Betty. Her husband's pretty obviously cheating on her, almost all of her children are jobless layabouts, her husband blames her and the family for his political failures, her own daughter admits to using her to steal money, she's late to said daughter's wedding and breaks into tears when Muriel walks past her... Then she's caught shoplifting and humiliated, her husband abandons her for his mistress, [[spoiler:and she commits suicide after her son calls her a "mad bitch." Poor ''Betty.'']]
** On a lesser note, Muriel's first boyfriend, Brice. He clearly likes Muriel, but his attempts to deflower her don't go over well, as Rhonda's sailor friends misinterpret Muriel's screaming laughter as screams and restrain him. Then he's invited to Muriel's wedding and clearly looks a bit disappointed.