* CrowningMomentOfAwesome: [[spoiler:Celanawe and Gwendolyn's showdown with Midnight]] at the end of Fall, Lieam avenging [[spoiler:Celanawe]] by ''destroying'' the owl toward the end of Winter.
** Not to mention freeing himself during Fall, taking a sword and a dagger, then fighting his way to Gwendolyn, Saxon, Kenzie, and the rest.
** In the ''Legends of the Guard'' book, the main character of one of the stories ''kills a bear by himself''.
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: Saxon's [[spoiler:AnguishedDeclarationOfLove to Gwendolyn, and her acceptance]] at the end of Winter. It's the kind of scene you wish the artist had stretched out a bit more--putting the whole thing on one page feels nearly criminal.
* TearJerker: [[spoiler:Celenawe's]] death scene and funeral.
** [[spoiler: Conrad's]] death counts as well, simply because it comes [[AnyoneCanDie completely out of left field]]. Sadie even cries in-universe.
** Also, ''"Wolf, hawk, fox, and snake. Can't stand in my way. My body is weak and it may break. But not today."''[[spoiler: Sung as Saxon finds the body of his mentor, Loukas, who died with thousands of other mice in Darkheather underground during the war with the weasels.]]
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids: It may take place in a MouseWorld, but there's quite a lot of blood and gory injuries.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids: Kinda this to for the reasons listed above... Since it won the Eisner Award for Best Children's Comic in 2007.