* AwesomeMusic: Despite the theme being used in ''Film/KingKongVsGodzilla'' was removed in the English, the English version kept the music of that theme intact for this film. This theme would end up used two more times, in ''Film/GodzillaVsGigan'' (as stock music) and ''Film/GodzillaVsMechagodzillaII''.
* CounterpartComparison: Godzilla, ugly, durable and vicious vs. Mothra, beautiful, fragile and gentle.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: The living turtle skeleton on infant island. [[http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hukuromusi1017/63638017.html It even got a figure.]]
* HilariousInHindsight: The original US dub title naming Mothra "[[Film/TheThing1982 The Thing]]", which has inspired more than a few crossovers with Godzilla and the [[EldritchAbomination definetely much more terrifying thing.]]
* MisaimedMarketing: The US dub renamed the film as "Godzilla Vs. The Thing" and the promotional art tried to portray the monster Godzilla would duel as a tentacled horror so terrifying, that the poster art had to be censored and the only way to see how horrifying it was was to see the movie. Never mind that Mothra, who isn't remotely scary, is a good natured monster!
* SomewhereAnEntomologistIsCrying: Moths don't lay hard-shelled eggs.
* SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped: The whole sequence on Infant Island, where the human protagonists ponder the horrors of nuclear testing and atomic war. Hamfisted? Undoubtedly. An important moral in the heart of the Cold War? Indubitably.