* BrokenBase: The story in a nutshell.
* CharacterRerailment: Towards Jax (retroactively from ''Special Forces'' and ''Deadly Alliance''), the game seem to be closer in line with Jax's original characterization. Justified in that it's supposed to be a [[BroadStrokes retelling]] of ''[=MK2=]''.
* DorkAge: Kung Lao's portrayal in ''Shaolin Monks''. He's jealous of Liu Kang, when in the past he had only cared for the protection of Earthrealm. It became canon as of ''Armageddon'', with his ending, and sticks in ''VideoGame/MortalKombat9'', although there he at least has the primary motive of avenging his ancestor's death at the hands of Goro.
* NightmareFuelStationAttendant: Mileena.
* WhatAnIdiot: This could be applied to everybody. Liu Kang and Kung Lao fall really easily to Shang Tsung's trap and Raiden never tries to stop them from fighting his assassins. Raiden does stop them but right at the end Tsung is already done with his plan.