* BrokenBase: The story in a nutshell.
* CharacterRerailment: Towards Jax (retroactively from ''Special Forces'' and ''Deadly Alliance''), the game seem to be closer in line with Jax's original characterization. Justified in that it's supposed to be a [[BroadStrokes retelling]] of ''[=MK2=]''.
* DorkAge: Kung Lao's portrayal in ''Shaolin Monks''. He's jealous of Liu Kang, when in the past he had only cared for the protection of Earthrealm. It became canon as of ''Armageddon'', with his ending, and sticks in ''VideoGame/MortalKombat9'', although there he at least has the primary motive of avenging his ancestor's death at the hands of Goro.
* NarmCharm: Whereas the voice acting in ''MortalKombatDeception'' seemed to be unintenionally hilarious and terrible, there's a lot of moments in ''Shaolin Monks'' where they seem to be squarely aiming for deliberately corny acting and lines in a meta design, a la ''Film/BlackDynamite''.
--> '''Kung Lao''': (to Liu Kang, after Sub-Zero freezes the area around) You know what they say about a cold day in Hell... this is it.
* NightmareFuelStationAttendant: Mileena.
* WhatAnIdiot: This could be applied to everybody. Liu Kang and Kung Lao fall really easily to Shang Tsung's trap and Raiden never tries to stop them from fighting his assassins. Raiden does stop them but right at the end Tsung is already done with his plan.